Computer Science majors at Columbia study an integrated curriculum, partially in areas with an immediate relationship to the computer, such as programming languages, operating systems, and computer architecture, and partially in theoretical computer science and mathematics. A broad range of upper-level courses is available in topics including artificial intelligence, natural language processing, computational complexity and the analysis of algorithms, computer communications, combinatorial methods, computer architecture, computer graphics, data bases, mathematical models for computation, optimization, and programming environments. Through this integrated approach, students acquire the kind of flexibility needed in a rapidly changing field; they are prepared to engage in both applied and theoretical developments in computer science as they happen.
Most graduates of the Computer Science Program at Columbia step directly into career positions in computer science with industry or government, or continue their education in graduate degree programs. Many choose to combine computer science with a second career interest by pursuing additional programs in business administration, medicine, or other professional studies.
DEGREE PROGRAM QUICK GUIDES
- BS in Computer Science (SEAS) Updated March 2021
- BS in Computer Engineering (SEAS)
- BA in Computer Science (CC, GS, Barnard) – Updated June 2021
- BA in Computer Science and Mathematics (CC & GS)
- BA in Data Science (formerly known as Computer Science and Statistics) (CC, GS)
- BA in Information Science (CC, GS) Updated March 2021
- Minor/Concentration in Computer Science – Please see the BS and BA program guides above
**A note about Computational Linear Algebra: Students may choose to take Linear Algebra (MATH 2010, APMA 3101, or APMA 2101) or Computational Linear Algebra (COMS 3251) to satisfy this requirement.**
DEGREE PROGRESS CHECK LIST
(please right click on any of the below to download)
- BS in Computer Science (SEAS)
- BA in Computer Science (CC, GS, Barnard)
- BA in Computer Science and Mathematics (CC and GS)
- BA in Data Science (formerly known as Computer Science & Statistics) (CC, GS)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact CS Student Services.
Questions pertaining to the CS Department and major/minor requirements should be directed to CS Student Services.
If you have questions about the admissions requirements, please contact the following admissions offices:
Last updated on 20200721.