The Department has a subscription to Azure Dev Tools for Teaching, which permits free downloads for many Microsoft products.
In order to gain access to the downloads you must create an account on Azure using a Computer Science address, i.e. <account>@cs.columbia.edu. The sign-up process includes two email verification steps, one for the email address itself and a second to confirm edu status.
Instructions for Signing Up and Accessing the Software
- Go to https://portal.azure.com and create an account using your computer science email address. Note that you must use a cs.columbia.edu address in order to gain access to our subscription.
- A confirmation email will be sent to you. Click on the link to activate your account.
- Go to https://aka.ms/
devtoolsforteaching. Log in if needed.
- You will be prompted to complete edu confirmation. This will involve another confirmation email.
- When the process is complete you should be on Azure‘s Education page. If not, go to https://portal.azure.com and search for “Education” in the search bar at the top of the screen. One of the items that appears in the drop-down should be “Education (preview).” Selecting this should take you to the “Education – Overview” page.
- On the “Education – Overview” page select software. You should see a long list of available software. Select any item for a download link and, if needed, a license key.