Journal Responsibilities | Professional Activities | Invited Talks, Panels, Workshops, and Tutorials | Conference Presentations | Columbia Service
- "Context and Prosody in the Interpretation of Cue Phrases in Dialogue," KTH, 22 November.
- "Charisma in English and Arabic Political Speech," Distinguished Lecture Series, Stony Brook University,
- "Detecting Deceptive Speech," Johns Hopkins University Center for Language and Speech Processing Spring Seminar Series, 2 October.
- "Deception in Speech," Tilburg University, 24 August.
- "Perceptions of Charisma from Spoken Language in Standard American English and Palestinian Arabic," SRI Star Lab Colloquium, 26 July.
- "The Form and Function of Cue Phrases in Spoken Dialogue," Workshop on Conversational Games and Strategic Inference, LSA Summer Institute, Stanford, July 11.
- "Spoken Dialogue Systems," LSA Summer Institute, Stanford, 6-27 July.
- "Credibility Assessment Research Summit," sponsored by Counterintelligence Field Activity (CIFA) and the Technical Support Working Group (TSWG), May 22-24, organized by Frank Horvath, Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment (DACA).
- "Recognizing and Conveying Speaker State," Lockheed Martin, March 26.
- "Detecting Deception form Speech: Acoustic/Prosodic and Lexical Cues," Distinguished Seminar Series 2006-07, Computer Science and Engineering, Lehigh University, March 1.
- "Charisma Across Cultures: Acoustic/Prosodic and Lexico-Syntactic Correlates of Charismatic Speech," Collaborative Research Center Plenary Lecture, Stuttgart, November 24.
- "Recognizing and Conveying Speaker State Prosodically," Prosody 2006, May 2.
- "Recognizing a Speaker’s Emotional State," ETS, October 7.
- "Charismatic Speech: Acoustic, Prosodic and Lexical Cues in English," Research Challenges in Speech Technology," KTH, Stockholm, October 13.
- "‘From ‘If people aren’t happy here, they should find some place where they are happy’ to ‘What problem? We have 6 women in our department already’: Industry to Academe," WOWINC: Work Opportunities for Women in Computing, NYU, September 23.
- Invited participant, "Behavioral Aspects of Security Workshop", NSF, June 26-28, Mark Frank, SUNY Buffalo, organizer.
- "Recognizing a Speaker’s Emotional State," SUNY Buffalo, Center for Cognitive Science, April 6, 2005.
- "Recognizing ’Emotional’ Speech," Karlsruhe University, February 14.
- "Experiments in Recognizing Emotional Speech," CUNY CS Department Colloquium, October 21.
- "Intonational Overload: Uses of the H* !H* L- L% Contour in Read and Spontaneous Speech," Laboratory Phonology 9, June 26, 2004.
- "Distinguishing Deceptive from Non-Deceptive Speech: Acoustic, Prosodic, and Lexical Cues," Workshop on Detecting Deception in Language and Cultural Context, University of Maryland Center for
Advanced Study of Language, June 17.
- Symposium on Intonation and Processing ICPhS 2003, Barcelona.
- "Acoustic Cues to Emotional Speech," PROPOR 2003, Faro, Portugal, 26-7 June.
- "Experiments in Emotional Speech," ISCA & IEEE Workshop on Spontaneous Speech Recognition, Tokyo, 15 April.
- "Intonational Variation in Spoken Dialogue Systems," Wilem Mathesius Courses, Charles University, Prague, March 18-21.
- "Browsing and Searching Audio Data: SCANMail," University of Pittsburgh, 24 January.
- "Seeing What is Said: New Methods for Extracting Information from Speech," Computer Science Seminar, Institute for Applied Mathematics and Systems, Universidad Autonoma de Mexico, December 6.
- "Navigating Audio Like Text: Browsing and Searching Voicemail Messages in SCANMail," Fall 2002 distinguished Lecture Series, Department of Computer Science & Institute for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Maryland, 2 December.
- "SCANMail: Audio Browsing and Retrieval for Voicemail," IBM Multimedia Seminar, June 19.
- "The Pragmatics of Intonational Meaning," Speech Prosody 2002, Aix-en-Provence, 12 April.
- "Audio Browsing and Search in the Voicemail Domain," NLPRS-2001, Tokyo.
- "Meanings of Intonational Variation", Stonybrook University, November 5.
- "Intonational Variation in Spoken Dialogue Systems: Generation and Understanding," Wilem Mathesius Courses, Charles University, Prague, March.
- "Intonational Variation in Spoken Dialogue Systems: Generation and Understanding", ‘Bullet Course’ presented at the Kungl Tekniska H¨ogskolan (KTH), Stockholm, September 12-14.
- "Communication and Prosody: Functional Aspects of Prosody," ESCA Workshop on Dialogue and Prosody, Eindhoven, September.
- "When Good Recognizers Go Bad: Identifying Prosodic Cues to Recognition Errors," Johns Hopkins Center for Language and Speech Processing Workshop Guest Lecture Series, July.
- "Intonation and Discourse Structure: Analysis, Generation, and Understanding"," Wilem Mathesius Courses, Charles University, Prague, March.
- "Prosody and Discourse Structure," Third Discourse Tagging Workshop, Chiba University, May 18.
- "Discourse and Dialogue Prosody: Theories of Intonational Meaning Above the Utterance Level," ESCA Tutorial and Research Workshop on Intonation: Theory, Models and Applications, Athens, September.
- "Intonation and Discourse Structure: The Boston Directions Corpus", Ohio State University, November 22.
- "To Speak....or not to Speak: The Role of Spoken Language in Multimodal Interfaces," KONVENS 96, Bielefeld, October.
- "Prosody in Spoken Dialogue," Course given at the Fourth European Summer School on Language and Speech Communication: Dialogue Systems, Technical University of Budapest, July.
- "Intonational Variation and Intonational Meaning’,"Wilem Mathesius Courses, Charles University, Prague, April.
- "Intonation and Discourse Structure: The Pragmatics of Prosodic Variation," Interfaces of Grammar: Theoretical and Computational Aspects, Universitaet Stuttgart/Universitaet Tuebingen, October.
- "Learning from Human Performance: Corpus-Based Intonational Assignment in Text-to-Speech", Microsoft Research, March 11.
- "Prosodic and Other Acoustic Cues to Speaking Style in Spontaneous and Read Speech," Panel on
Speaking Styles, XIIIth International Congress of Phonetic Sciences, Stockholm, August.
- Discourse: Linguistic, Computational, and Philosophical Perspectives, Center for Philosophy of Science,
University of Pittsburgh, March 24-26 (invited participant).
- "Discourse Prosody", Tutorial Workshop on Discourse and Dialogue Prosody, Universitaet Stuttgart, February 13.
- "Intonation and Discourse Structure: New Evidence from a Task-Oriented Domain," Workshop on
Prosody, Third International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, Yokohama, September.
- "Prosodic Variation for Text-to-Speech Synthesis," Special Session on Text-to-Speech, Acoustical Society
of America, October 7.
- "Meaning beyondWords: Intonational Frontiers in Natural Language Processing," (plenary talk), IJCAI-93, Chambery, France, September 1.
- "Studies of Intonation and Discourse," (tutorial) ESCA Workshop on Prosody, Lund University, September.
- "Pragmatics and Intonation," (course) LSA Summer Institute, Ohio State University, June/July.
- ToBI Workshop on Prosodically Transcribed Data and Transcription Tools for Linguistics Research, Columbus OH, June (invited participant).
- "Linguistic Cues to Discourse Segmentation", NATO Advanced Research Workshop on Burning Issues in Discourse, Maratea, Italy, April.
- "Structuring Discourse Intonationally", CMU, March 30.
- "Intonation and Discourse Structure", University of Rochester, March 17.
- "Modeling of Contextual Information for Text-to-Speech Systems," Workshop on Prosody and Discourse, Second International Conference on Spoken Language Processing, Banff, October 13.
- "Intonation in Natural Language Understanding and Generation," (tutorial) Second Pacific Rim International Conference on AI, Seoul, September.
- Second Prosodic Transcription Workshop, NYNEX, May (invited participant).
- "Intonational Correlates of Discourse Structure," University of Arizona, Tucson, April 17.
- "Predicting Intonational Boundaries in Spontaneous Speech," Hebrew University, Jerusalem, March 10.
- "Intonational Correlates of Local and Global Discourse Structure," NY Area Seminar on Computational Linguistics, CUNY, January.
- "Predicting Intonational Boundaries from Text," CUNY, December.
- "Computational Approaches to Intonation and Discourse," (tutorial) The Third European Summer School in Language, Logic and Information, Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, August 12-23.
- MIT Prosodic Transcription Workshop, August (invited participant).
- NSF Conference on the Grammatical Foundations of Prosody and Discourse, Santa Cruz, June/July.
- "Intonation in Spoken Language Systems," (tutorial) 29th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, June 18.
- (invited participant) University of Illinois Workshop on Computational Linguistics and Linguistic Theory,
Champagne-Urbana, June 13-15.
- "Predicting Intonational Boundaries Automatically from Text," Bell Communications Research, Morristown NJ, April 17.
- "Intonational Boundaries and Syntactic Structure", Workshop on Current Issues in Natural Language Processing, Center for Cognitive Science, University of Texas, Austin, February 15.
- "Scalar Implicature," Princeton Cognitive Science Group, 22 May.
- "Assigning Pitch Accent in Synthetic Speech," MIT, May 2.
- "Correlating Pitch Range Variation and Topic Structure in Discourse," AAAI Symposium on Spoken Language Systems, Stanford, March 30.
- "Interpreting Cue Phrases Intonationally," CMU/University of Pittsburgh Computational Linguistics Seminar, January (with D. Litman).
- "Intonational Meaning and Speech Synthesis," Columbia University Cognitive Seminar, April 25.
- "Controlling Intonational Meaning in Synthetic Speech: Varying Stress, Pitch, and Timing to Convey Discourse Information," Columbia University Department of Computer Science AI Day, April 15.
- "Generating Appropriate Intonational Features in Synthetic Speech," Bell Communications Research CHI Seminar, March 31.
- "Intonational Features and Discourse Interpretation", US/Japan Workshop on Natural-Language Processing and Computer Software (NSF), January.
- "Structuring Discourse Intonationally," AI Colloquium Series, New York University, October.
- "The Meaning of Intonational Contours in the Interpretation of Discourse" (with J. Pierrehumbert), Symposium on Intentions and Plans in Communication and Discourse, Monterrey, March.
- Panel on Current Issues in Discourse and Pragmatics, TINLAP-87, January.
- "Intonational Meaning in the Interpretation of Discourse", ATRWorkshop on Natural Language Dialogue Interpretation, Osaka, November.
- "Intonation and Discourse," AI Seminar, Bolt, Baranek, and Newman, Inc., July (with J. Pierrehumbert).
- "Discourse and intonational meaning," University of Delaware, March.
- "Intonational structuring of discourse," (with J. Pierrehumbert), Sloan Seminar in Cognitive Science, University of Pennsylvania, February.
- "The Pragmatics of Fall-Rise Intonation," (with G.Ward) Sloan Seminar in Cognitive Science, University
of Pennsylvania, October.
Professor, Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
1214 Amsterdam Avenue
450 CS Building
New York, NY 10027
phone: (212) 939-7114