Boyi Xie did his PhD in the Department of Computer Science at Columbia University. His research interests are in natural language processing and machine learning. He worked as a research assistant at the Center for Computational Learning Systems (CCLS) and his advisor is Rebecca J. Passonneau. He received his B.Eng. from Zhejiang University in 2008 and M.S. from Columbia University in 2010.
- Swiss Re, Senior Analytics Professional, VP, 2016-now
- IBM, IBM Research, 2013
- Standard & Poor's, Quantitative Analytics Research Group, 2012
His research areas of interest are in natural language processing and machine learning. In particular, he's interested in designing a machinery to understand the semantics of natural language text by encoding data through rich knowledge representation.
He has been working on projects that involve text analysis for real world applications.
- He was teaching COMS W1001 Introduction to Information Science, Spring 2015, Columbia University.
- He was teaching COMS W1001 Introduction to Information Science, Fall 2014, Columbia University.
- He was teaching COMS W1001 Introduction to Information Science, Fall 2013, Columbia University.
- He was a teaching assistant of COMS E6111 Advanced Database Systems, Spring 2011, Columbia University.
- Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau. OmniGraph: Rich Representation and Graph Kernel Learning. CoRR abs/1510.02983. 2015.
- Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau. Graph Structured Semantic Representation and Learning for Financial News. Proceedings of the 28th International Conference of the Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society (FLAIRS-28). Hollywood, Florida, USA. May 18-20, 2015. pdf
- Rebecca J. Passonneau, Tifara Ramelson, Boyi Xie. Company Mention Detection for Large Scale Text Mining. International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (IC3K), Special Session on Text Mining. Rome Italy, 21-24 October, 2014. (Best Paper Award). pdf
- Boyi Xie, Dingquan Wang, Rebecca J. Passonneau. Semantic Feature Representation to Capture News Impact. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference of the Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society (FLAIRS-27). Pensacola Beach, Florida, USA. May 21-23, 2014. pdf
- Cynthia Rudin, Seyda Ertekin, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Axinia Radeva, Ashish Tomar, Boyi Xie, Stanley Lewis, Mark Riddle, Debbie Pangsrivinij, Tyler McCormick. Analytics for Power Grid Distribution Reliability in New York City. Interfaces, 2014. pdf
- Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Germán Creamer, Leon Wu. 2013. Semantic Frames to Predict Stock Price Movement. Proceedings of the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL). Sofia, Bulgaria. August 4-9, 2013. pdf
- Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau. 2012. Supervised HDP using Prior Knowledge. 17th International Conference on Applications of Natural Language Processing (NLDB). Groningen, The Netherlands. June 26-28, 2012. pdf
- Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Haimonti Dutta, Jing-Yeu Miaw, Axinia Radeva, Ashish Tomar, Cynthia Rudin. 2012. Progressive Clustering with Learned Seeds: An Event Categorization System for Power Grid. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE). Redwood City, CA, July 1- July 3, 2012. pdf
- Haimonti Dutta, William Chan, Deepak Shankargouda, Manoj Pooleery, Axinia Radeva, Kyle Rego, Boyi Xie, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Austin Lee, Barbara Taranto. 2012. Leveraging Subjective Human Annotation for Clustering Historic Newspaper Articles. The Computer Research Repository (CoRR), abs/1208.3530. Augest, 2012.
- Apoorv Agarwal, Boyi Xie, Ilia Vovsha, Owen Rambow, Rebecca J. Passonneau. 2011. Sentiment Analysis of Twitter. In Proceedings of Language and Social Media (LSM 2011), pp. 20-28, Workshop at The 49th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (ACL/HLT). Portland, OR, June 23, 2011. pdf
- Ansaf Salleb-Aouissi, Axinia Radeva, Boyi Xie, Faiza Khan Khattak, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Ashish Tomar, Hatim Diab, David Waltz, Mary McCord, Harriet McGurk, Noémie Elhadad. 2011. Diving into a Large Corpus of Pediatric, The 28th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML), Workshop on Learning from Unstructured Clinical Text, Bellevue, Washington. June 28 - July 2, 2011. pdf
- Leon Wu, Boyi Xie, Gail Kaiser, Rebecca J. Passonneau. 2011. BugMiner: Software Reliability Analysis via Data Mining of Bug Reports. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE). Miami Beach, FL, July 7 – July 9, 2011. pdf
- Rebecca J. Passonneau, Cynthia Rudin, Axinia Radeva, Ashish Tomar, Boyi Xie, Steve Hanebuth, Steve Ierome, Debbie Pangsrivinij. 2011. Treatment effect of repairs to an electrical grid: Leveraging a machine learned model of structure vulnerability. The 17th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Workshop on Data Mining Applications in Sustainability (SustKKD 2011). San Diego, CA, August 21, 2011. pdf
- Haimonti Dutta, Rebecca J. Passonneau, Austin Lee, Axinia Radeva, Boyi Xie, David Waltz, Barbara Taranto. 2011. Learning Parameters of the K-Means Algorithm from Subjective Human Annotation. In Proceedings of the 24th International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (FLAIRS), Special Track on Data Mining, Palm Beach, FL. May 18 – May 20, 2011. pdf
Center for Computational Learning Systems
Interchurch Center, Room 850
475 Riverside Drive MC 7717
New York, NY 10115