Se Gi Hong | Projects
10/2011 ~ Present
Heterogeneous Network (HetNet) Project
Hughes Network Systems, LLC
Multiple networking system
- Propose a deployable and controllable multihoming system, which combines a satellite network and a terrestrial network (4G LTE), to enhance network services.
- Design network system architecture and implement the prototype of the system.
- Se Gi Hong and Chi-Jiun Su,“ASAP: Fast, Controllable, and Deployable Multiple Networking System for Satellite Networks,” (To be appeared) In Proceeding of IEEE Conference on Global Communications, San Diego, CA, Dec. 2015.
09/2009 ~ 08/2011
Internet Cache on
Wheels (ICOW) Project
wireless networks for public transit systems
network resource limitation and allocation problems of opportunistic
networks in public transit systems.
- Proposed a
system-level solution to increase content availability and system
system architecutre, built prototype, evaluated performance and
analyzed the system.
- Se Gi hong,
SungHoon Seo, Henning Schulzrinne, and Prabhakar Chitrapu, “ICOW: Internet Access in Public
Transit Systems,” IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 134 - 141, 2015.
Hybrid Wireless Network
Communications, LLC (Summer Internship)
- Security issues on authentication, authorization,
accounting, and privacy in hybrid networks.
- Categorized security architectures in hybrid networks and
raised security problems.
Permission-Based Sending (PBS) Project
Control plane signaling
architecture for programmable routers
- Proposed a signaling architecture for network traffic
authorization, aiming to prevent denial-of-service (DoS) attacks and
other forms of unauthorized traffic.
- Exploited control plane signaling protocol architecture and
- Implemented this project using netfilter, Click modular
router and NSIS (FreeNSIS).
- Se Gi Hong and
Henning Schulzrinne, “PBS: signaling architecture for
network traffic authorization,” IEEE Communications
Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 7, pp. 89 - 96, 2013.
- Se Gi Hong,
Henning Schulzrinne and Swen Weiland, “Signaling architecture for
network traffic authorization,” In Proceeding of IEEE
Conference on Global Communications, Miami, FL, Dec. 2010.
- Se Gi Hong and
Henning Schulzrinne, “PBS
NSLP: Network Traffic Authorization,” IETF,
Internet Draft, April, 2014, work in progress.
06/2007 ~ 08/2007
Evaluation of a DHT-based
Bell Labs at Alcatel-Lucent (Summer Internship)
DHT-based P2P control
the control message overhead created by the DHT-based P2P system under
various churn rates and different networking sizes.
- Simulated this project using OMNeT++ and OverSim.
- Se Gi Hong, Volker
Henning Schulzrinne, “Evaluation
of Control Message Overhead of DHT-based P2P System,” Bell Labs Technical Journal (BLTJ), Vol. 13, No. 3.
Seven Degrees (7DS) Project
Distributed wireless networks
of Multicast Service Discovery
- Measured and analyzed multicast service discovery traffic
in a campus wireless network.
different service discovery delay models in terms of packet overhead
and service discovery delay under different network sizes and
Accerelating Service Discovery
and algorithm to accelerate service discvory in wireless Zero
Configuration Networking (Zeroconf) mobile ad hoc networks.
- Allowed users to discover network topology changes and new
services in real-time while minimizing network overhead.
- Implemented and tested this project on
Linux, using C.
P2P Information Exchange
- Worked on data exchanges on wireless mobile ad hoc networks
providing an application-level set of protocol services that will
enable exchange of information between peer devices.
- Implemented and tested this project on Linux using
C, and also implemented and tested
using LEAF (Linux Embedded Application Firewall), an embedded Linux
distribution, on a WRAP (Wireless
Router Application Platform).
- Se Gi Hong,
Suman Srinivasan, and
Henning Schulzrinne, “Measurements
of Multicast Service Discovery in a Campus Wirless Network,” In Proceeding of IEEE
Conference on Global Communications, Honolulu, Hawaii, Nov. 2009.
- Se Gi Hong,
Suman Srinivasan and
Henning Schulzrinne, “Accelerating
Service Discovery in Ad-hoc Zero
Configuration Networking,” In Proceeding
Conference on Global Communications, Washington D.C., Nov. 2007. [pdf]
- Suman Srinivasan,
Se Gi Hong and Henning Schulzrinne, “7DS
- Node Cooperation and Information
Exchange in Mostly Disconnected Networksi,” In
Proceeding of IEEE International
Conference on Communications, Glasgow, Scotland, June 24 -
28, 2007. [pdf]
- Worked on a localized and sink-oriented MAC
protocol in wireless sensor
networks, focusing on congestion control and aggregation of
- Wrote a C++ code of this protocol and tested it on
- Gahng-Seop Ahn, Emiliano
Andrew T. Campbell, Se Gi Hong and Francesca Cuomo, “Funneling-MAC: A
Localized, Sink-Oriented MAC For Boosting Fidelity in Sensor Networks,” In Proc. of Fourth ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems
2006), Boulder, Colorado, USA, Nov. 1-3, 2006. [pdf]