- Board member (2007- ) and past president
Armstrong Memorial Research Foundation
- Computer Performance Foundation (inactive)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Life Member, beginning when the IEEE was the IRE: Institute of
Radio Engineers (50 years, 2011)
- Member, Technical Committee on Operating Systems
- Association for Computing Machinery -- 50-year-membership certificate, 2010.
- One of the co-founders of SIGMETRICS
- Co-Founder, Symposium on Operating Systems Principles
- IFIP Working Group 7.3 on Performance Evaluation and Modeling
- Charter member, one of the co-founders
- Membership committee, 1990-1995, 2002- (committee chair 2002-2009)
- Board member, Computer Performance Foundation
- DIMACS Institute
- Chairman, Visitor Committee, 1994-1997
- Member, Executive Committee, 1994-1997
Note: Affiliations having an employee status
are given on the home page. Affiliations in the role of Visiting Research Scientist
are listed below; short-term
visits (at least one week) that fostered collegial research were
supported at each. Government supported research studies, normally much more
specific and shorter-term, are listed on the SERVICE page.
- IBM Research Laboratory, Yorktown Heights, 1971 (6 weeks), Frank King host.
- Institut de Recherche d'Informatique et d'Automatique, Paris, 1977 (4 weeks)
- Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, 1978 (1 week), M. Garey host.
- Université de Paris VI, 1981 (4 weeks), Ph. Chretienne host.
- Institut de Recherche d'Informatique et d'Automatique, Sophia-Antipolis, France, 1989 (4 weeks),
F. Baccelli host.
- Department of Algorithms and Artificial Intelligence.,
University of Szeged, 2004 (3 weeks), J. Csirik host.
- Electrical Engineering Department, University of Melbourne, 2007 (4 weeks), S. Hanly host.
- Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Sydney, 2008 and 2009 (4 weeks), V. Timkovsky host.
- Faculty of Business Administration, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 2009, (1 week),
W. Kubiak host.