I am a professor of Statistics and Computer Science at Columbia University. I am also a member of the Columbia Data Science Institute. I work in the fields of machine learning and Bayesian statistics.
My research interests include:
Here are two recent talks:
We released Edward: A library for probabilistic modeling, inference, and criticism.
Follow the Blei lab on Twitter.
Machine Learning at Columbia
Columbia has a thriving machine learning community, with many
faculty and researchers across departments. The Machine
Learning at Columbia mailing list is a good source of information
about talks and other events on campus.
I am on teaching leave in 2017-2018. My previous courses are here.
Office hoursDuring the semester I hold weekly office hours in Mudd 430. All are welcome. For students and postdocs, coming to my office hours is easier than using email to make an appointment.
Students and postdocs:
- Jaan Altosaar
- Adji Dieng
- Kriste Krstovski
- Scott Linderman
- Jackson Loper
- Dustin Tran
- Rajesh Ranganath
- Maja Rudolph
- Francisco Ruiz
- Keyon Vafa
- Victor Veitch
- Yixin Wang
Former students and postdocs:
- Jordan Boyd-Graber   (Associate Professor, University of Maryland)
- Allison Chaney   (Postdoctoral Researcher, Princeton University)
- Jonathan Chang   (Lead Developer, Health Coda)
- Laurent Charlin   (Assistant Professor, University of Montreal)
- Sean Gerrish   (Data Scientist, Google)
- Sam Gershman   (Assistant Professor, Harvard University)
- Prem Gopalan   (Voleon Capital)
- Lauren Hannah   (Assistant Professor, Columbia University)
- Alp Kucukelbir   (Founder, Fero Labs)
- Dawen Liang   (Data Scientist, Netflix)
- Liping Liu   (Assistant Professor, Tufts University)
- Jeremy Manning   (Assistant Professor, Dartmouth College)
- David Mimno   (Assistant Professor, Cornell University)
- John Paisley   (Assistant Professor, Columbia University)
- Matt Hoffman   (Senior Research Scientist, Google)
- Stephan Mandt   (Researcher, Disney Research)
- Gungor Polatkan   (Data Scientist, Twitter)
- James McInerney   (Data Scientist, Spotify)
- Kui Tang
- Chong Wang   (Researcher, Microsoft Research)