COMS W4115 - Spring 2015
Programming Languages and Translators
Final Report Suggestions
- Please deposit a final report on your project on
Courseworks in your Team folder by 6:00pm,
Sunday, May 10, 2015.
- Here is a suggested outline of the chapters to include in
your final project report.
- Be sure to include the name
of your language, the name of your team, the names of
all team members and the roles they played on the cover page of your report.
- For chapters 4-8, include the name of the author who wrote
that chapter. Each of chapters 4-8 should be just a few pages.
- Suggested Outline
- Introduction (written by the entire team)
Language tutorial (written by the entire team)
- Use your updated language whitepaper.
Language reference manual (written by the entire team)
- Make sure your translator will process all of the programs
mentioned in your language tutorial.
Project plan (to be written by the project manager)
- Make sure it includes a complete grammar for your language.
Language evolution (to be written by the language guru)
- State what process was used to develop the language
and its translator.
- State the roles and responsibilities of each team member.
- Include the implementation style sheet used by the team.
- Show the timeline of what was done and when.
- Include your project log.
Translator architecture (to be written by the system architect)
- Describe how the language evolved during the implementation
and what steps were used to try to maintain the good attributes of
the original language proposal.
- Describe the compiler tools used to create the compiler components.
- Describe what unusual libraries are used in the compiler.
- Describe what steps were taken to keep the LRM and the compiler consistent.
Development and run-time environment (to be written by the system integrator)
- Show the architectural block diagram of translator.
- Describe the interfaces between the modules.
- State which modules were written by which team members.
Test plan (to be written by the system tester)
- Describe the software development environment used to create the compiler.
- Show the makefile used to create and test the compiler during development.
- Describe the run-time environment for the compiler.
- Describe the test methodology used during development.
- Show programs used to test your translator.
- Lessons learned as a team (to be written by the entire team)
- Lessons learned by each team member (written by each team member)
- Advice for future teams (written by the entire time)
- Suggestions for the instructor on what topics to keep, drop, or
add in future courses (written by the entire team)
See MineTime for a sample final report.
- Include a listing of the complete source code with
identification of who wrote
which module of the compiler.