Se Gi Hong
Research and development in the area of
network system architecture, protocols, and applications with superior
programming skills using C, C++, and Java.
Research interests include:
- Mitigating network service disruption
- Heterogeneous/hybrid networks
- Software-defined networks (SDN)
New York, NY
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering.
Academic advisor: Prof. Henning Schulzrinne
Dissertation Title: Mitigating Network Service Disruptions in
High-bandwidth, Intermittently Connected, and Peer-to-Peer Networks.
, LA, CA.
M.S., Electrical Engineering.
B.E., Electronic Engineering.
10/2011 ~ Present
Heterogeneous Network (HetNet) Project
Hughes Network Systems, LLC
- Propose a deployable and controllable multihoming system, which combines a satellite network and a terrestrial network (4G LTE), to enhance network services.
- Design network system architecture and implement the prototype of the system using netfilter.
09/2009 ~ 08/2011
ICOW (Internet Cache on
wireless networks for public transit systems
network resource limitation and allocation problems of opportunistic
networks in public transit systems.
- Proposed a
system-level solution to increase content availability and system
system architecutre, built prototype, evaluated performance and
analyzed the system.
09/2007 ~ 05/2009
PBS (Permission-Based Sending) Project
Control plane signaling architecture for programmable routers
- Proposed a signaling architecture for network traffic
authorization, aiming to prevent denial-of-service (DoS) attacks and
other forms of unauthorized traffic.
- Exploited control plane signaling protocol architecture and
- Implemented this project using netfilter, Click modular
router and NSIS (FreeNSIS).
06/2007 ~ 08/2007
Evaluation of a DHT-based P2P System
Bell Labs at Alcatel-Lucent
DHT-based P2P control messages
- Evaluated the control message overhead created by the
DHT-based P2P system under various churn rates and different networking
- Simulated this project using OMNeT++ and OverSim.
7DS (Seven Degrees) Project
Distributed wireless networks
of Multicast Service Discovery
- Measured and analyzed multicast service discovery traffic
in a campus wireless network.
different service discovery delay models in terms of packet overhead
and service discovery delay under different network sizes and
Accerelating Service Discovery
and algorithm to accelerate service discvory in wireless Zero
Configuration Networking (Zeroconf) mobile ad hoc networks.
- Allowed users to discover network topology changes and new
services in real-time while minimizing network overhead.
- Implemented and tested this project on
Linux, using C.
P2P Information Exchange
- Worked on data exchanges on wireless mobile ad hoc networks
providing an application-level set of protocol services that will
enable exchange of information between peer devices.
- Implemented and tested this project on Linux using
C, and also implemented and tested
using LEAF (Linux Embedded Application Firewall), an embedded Linux
distribution, on a WRAP (Wireless
Router Application Platform).
The Armstrong Project
Wireless sensor networks
- Designed a localized and sink-oriented MAC
protocol in wireless sensor
networks, focusing on congestion control and aggregation of
- Wrote a C++ code of this protocol and tested it on
09/2011 ~ Present
Hughes Network Systems, LLC, Germantown, MD
Senior Member of Technical Staff
InterDigital Communications, LLC, Melville, NY
Bell Labs at Alcatel-Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ
06/2002 ~ 07/2002
Samsung Networks (currently Samsung SDS) Seoul,
Columbia University, New York, NY
ELEN E4710 An Introduction to Network Engineering
- Se Gi Hong and Chi-Jiun Su, "ASAP: Fast, Deployable, and Controllable Multihoming System for Satellite Networks," Under review at NSDI'15.
- Se Gi hong, SungHoon Seo, Henning
Schulzrinne, and Prabhakar Chitrapu, "ICOW: Internet
Access in Public Transit Systems," Under review at IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Se Gi Hong and
Henning Schulzrinne, "PBS: signaling architecture for
network traffic authorization," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 7, pp. 89 - 96, 2013.
Se Gi Hong, Henning Schulzrinne, and Swen Weiland, "Signaling architecture for
network traffic authorization," In Proceeding of IEEE
Conference on Global Communications, Miami, FL, Dec. 2010.
Se Gi Hong
Henning Schulzrinne, “PBS
NSLP: Network Traffic Authorization,”
Draft, April 2014, work in progress.
- Se Gi Hong, Volker Hilt, and
Henning Schulzrinne, “Evaluation
of Control Message Overhead of DHT-based P2P System,”
Bell Labs Technical Journal (BLTJ), Vol. 13, No. 3.
Se Gi Hong,
Suman Srinivasan, and
Henning Schulzrinne, “Measurements
of Multicast Service Discovery in a Campus Wirless Network”, In Proceeding of IEEE
Conference on Global Communications, Honolulu, Hawaii, Nov. 2009.
- Se Gi Hong,
Suman Srinivasan, and
Henning Schulzrinne, “Accelerating
Service Discovery in Ad-hoc Zero
Configuration Networking,” In Proceeding
Conference on Global Communications, Washington D.C., Nov. 2007.
- Suman Srinivasan, Arezu Moghadam,
Se Gi Hong, and Henning Schulzrinne, “7DS
- Node Cooperation and Information
Exchange in Mostly Disconnected Networks,” In
Proceeding of IEEE International
Conference on Communications, Glasgow, Scotland, June 24 -
Gahng-Seop Ahn, Emiliano
Andrew T. Campbell, Se Gi Hong, and Francesca Cuomo, "Funneling-MAC: A
Localized, Sink-Oriented MAC For Boosting Fidelity in Sensor Networks,"
Proc. of Fourth ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems
2006), Boulder, Colorado, USA, Nov. 1-3, 2006.