Offered as the final exam for COMS W4118.
See PhD breadth requirements for signup procedure and more information.
Please see COMS W4118 home page under course
materials for suggested reading material for the exam.
Please see COMS W4118 lectures and
for a list of topics covered. These topics include:
- Operating system structures, interrupts, system calls,
micro-kernels, virtual machines
- Processes, threads, interprocess communication, CPU scheduling,
- Synchronization, critical-section problem, atomic transactions, deadlocks
- Memory management, virtual memory, page-replacement algorithms
- File systems, directory structure, file system interface
- I/O systems, device drivers, kernel I/O subsystem
- Secondary-storage structure, disk structure, disk scheduling, disk
- Linux/UNIX design principles, process and memory management, file systems
Past Comprehensive Exams
See COMS W4118 for more information.