E6998-2 Project Proposal
The main goal of the proposal is to help you think about the project and
set up a plan. Keep it within two pages. A good proposal will likely
have the following components:
If you plan on using Latex, here is an example
Latex template (in tar format).
- Title and Author List: should be self-evident.
- Problem statement. Motivate the problem you are solving a
little bit. Describe what the problem is, why it is important, and why
it is hard or unsolved.
- Your proposed solution. Describe what you plan to do. Use
examples and pictures if necessary. Be sufficiently detailed so your
solution sounds plausible. You need to think about this carefully.
- Evaluation plan. Describe how you plan to implement and
evaluate your idea. Be concrete. What are the deliverables? What
tools will you use? What systems will you modify? What experiments
will you conduct to show that your idea works (or not)? Give a
- Related work. Write about other similar work. What is
different than what you plan to do? What is similar? Try to draw general
conclusions about what others have missed.
Here are some advices on how to write.
IMPORTANT: Bring a printout of slides for me.
IMPORTANT: Bring a laptop with your slides.
IMPORTANT: If there are two of you in a team, BOTH of you must talk (split the talk into two components).
The goal of the presentation is to give you a chance to practice your
presentation skills and to let me and your fellow students know what you
plan to do. Keep your talk within 10 minutes (I'll cut you off
A sample outline:
Here are some advices on how to give a good talk.
- Introduction and Problem Statement. What problem are you
trying to solve or look into? Why is it an important problem?
- Approach. How do you plan to approach the problem? What is your methodology? Why is this a good way to approach the problem?
- Evaluation plan. How do you plan to evaluate your approach?
Submit your written proposal in PDF format
by email, by 4:09PM, Oct 1, 2008. Late
submission will receive a 50% penalty. Give your talk in class on Oct