Subject: [Autoconf] manet-arch-00 Terminology #1

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:56:41 -0700

We are attempting to capture the idea of a MANET and its border with
other subnetworks. To define this idea we have reused the term AS.  I
have provided the definition for AS & MANET from
draft-chakeres-manet-arch-00.txt.

Autonomous System (AS)
      An Autonomous System (AS) is a network topology that consists of a
      collection of routers and their subnetworks (with hosts attached)
      interconnected by a set of routes.  The subnetworks and the
      routers are expected to be under the control of a single
      operations and maintenance (O&M) organization.  Within an AS,
      routers use the same routing protocol.  An AS is expected to
      present to other ASs the appearance of a coherent interior routing
      plan, and a consistent picture of the reachable nodes.

 MANET
      A MANET is an AS made up of affiliated/associated MRs (and their
      connected nodes) that maintain a routing structure in arbitrarily
      dynamic network topologies, as illustrated in Figure 1.

I am afraid the term AS might be too associated with BGP.

We also considered calling the collection of MANET Routers (MRs) an
"area", but this has a strong association with OSPF.

We also considered calling the collection of MRa a region, but region
seemed loose.

Do you have a suggestion for a more succinct definition to aid in
defining the border of a MANET?

Ian Chakeres

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf