Subject: [Autoconf] manet-arch-00 Terminology #2

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 12:57:14 -0700

A link is commonly defined as a communication facility between which
nodes can pass IP packets without IP forwarding. Here is the current
definition from draft-chakeres-manet-arch-00.txt:

Link
      A communication facility on a layer below IP, over which nodes
      exchange IP packets.  In a MANET, links may change quality on
      short time scales, present unique views of their local
      neighborhood, and have other challenging properties.

MANETs might use a link that is slightly different from existing like
types (e.g. non-broadcast (NBMA) and broadcast).

With NBMA, broadcast is not available. In a broadcast network all
devices are assumed to be able to broadcast to each other; a
completely connected set.

In MANET (see Section 3 in arch-00) you can have something in between
NBMA & full-broadcast. That is, a node can broadcast to a reachable
set of nodes (not necessarily bi-directionally) and each nodes'
reachable set is not necessarily the same.

I propose we term this link type as partial-broadcast multiple access
(PBMA - thanks to Fred Templin for the suggestion), as only a part the
set is reachable. NBMA < PBMA <= full-broadcast.

Using this type of link, existing definitions for link, neighbor, and
interface need not be modified. Regarding the draft arch-00, link,
neighbor, BI, & WBI might be revised given discussion on this topic.

Ian Chakeres

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf