Subject: Re: [Autoconf] Configuring 'default' in Multi-Subnet MANETs

From: Christophe Jelger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:16:40 +0200

Hi all,

Actually a serious issue with link-local addresses is that an address by 
itself does not identify the NIC that should be used to reach the 
target. That is, knowing just the address does not give enough 
information to reach the target node. That's why existing socket APIs 
require that the interface name/id is given if the dest address of a 
packet is link-local. For example if you do "ping6 fe80::1" on a Linux 
machine you'll get an error message.

regards,
Christophe

Charles E. Perkins wrote:
> 
> (...)
> 
> If we suppose (a priori) that link-local addresses are unique, without
> requiring additional protocol, then things can be made to work more
> easily.  I still do not think it provides any noticeable benefit over using
> IPv? addresses with global scope, but at least there don't seem to be
> too many nasty repercussions. (...)

_______________________________________________
Autoconf mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/autoconf