Subject: New Feed Rank Draft

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:10:07 -0700

Hey all,

Andreas Sewe and I have published a new draft of the feed rank draft.
This is a major update that greatly simplifies the specification.

As a refresher, Feed Rank aims to provide a standardized extension for
associating numeric rankings with entries.  Such ranks can be used for a
broad variety of purposes.  Standardizing such a mechanism eliminates
the need for vendors to go off and invent their own elements that serve
identical purposes (e.g. Gdata has a rating element, Digg has a rating
element, etc).

Example,

     <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
           xmlns:re="http://purl.org/atompub/rank/1.0">
       ...
       <entry>
         <id>http://example.com/movies/starwars</id>
         <title>Star Wars</title>
         <re:rank domain="http://example.com/genres#all"
           scheme="http://example.com/ratings#popularity">123</re:rank>
         <re:rank domain="http://example.com/genres#scifi"
           scheme="http://example.com/ratings#popularity">53</re:rank>
         ...
       </entry>
       <entry>
         <id>http://example.com/movies/citylights</id>
         <title>Charlie Chaplin: City Lights</title>
         <re:rank domain="http://example.com/genres#all"
           scheme="http://example.com/ratings#popularity">5734</re:rank>
         <re:rank domain="http://example.com/genres#comedy"
           scheme="http://example.com/ratings#popularity">27</re:rank>
         ...
       </entry>
     </feed>

- James