Subject: ASPdotAtom

From: "M. David Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 01:47:10 -0600

I've chosen a "shut-up and code" approach to the overall Atom-related
projects I have going, something I'm sure many of you, if not noticed, are
none-the-less thankful for the "break" :)

However, I thought I would point out part of the comments from this mornings
checkin,

couple things of major significance in this check in: I've written a quick
> ASP.NET handler for files with a .omx (@omx = atomix = atomicxml = "yeah,
> yeah, sue me for the damages on your over-delicate-self" ;)) file extension
> to automatically be handled by the Extf.Net.Omx.AspNetHandler class, which
> instantiates a Saxon-based transformation. This requires that you register
> the .omx extension to be handled by the aspnet_isapi.dll for any supported
> version of the .NET platform (1.1 and 2.0 are both supported by Saxon on
> .NET). You will also need to add default.omx to the top of the Document
> list for your ASP.NET application. Please see the ASP.NET documentation to
> understand how to go about this. Pretty simple stuff, but it makes our life
> a WHOLE LOT EASIER, and a WHOLE LOT FASTER as all we need to do is create a
> default.omx atom file that references all of the atom:feed or atom:entry
> based atom files necessary for each page, passing it to a pre-compiled
> ASP.NET handler for processing. So in each directory of any given web
> application the only file that needs to exist is an atom file called
> default.omx that contains references to the files that contain the
> content, the files contain the template to build the output against, etc...
>

I leave again in peace, but I thought you all might find interest in the
idea that Atom has found its way into the top of the default document
position as my own personal "scripting language" of choice for
ASP.NET-basedapplications.

The current instance @ http://extf.net provides both a sample of this in
action, as well as links to the trac interface which contains the repository
info if you want to check it out and play around with it, or simply use the
interface to view the source online.  Still LOTS more to write for the
overall application, so I'm back at it...  When something of significance is
checked in that brings things to a versioned delivery stage, I'll let you
all know...

Enjoy your day :)

-- 
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson
http://www.xsltblog.com/

---

From: "M. David Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:04:07 -0600

Something I forgot to mention: There are three primary reasons that I
believe make this a compelling solution,

1) One master atom feed --< many servers = quick, easy, and automatic
application deployment and server synchronization.

2) via LiveClipboard:GlobalClip > Copy > Paste > Deploy

3) Simple policy enforcement using RNG, Schematron, XML Schema, etc...

On 5/24/06, M. David Peterson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> However, I thought I would point out part of the comments from this
> mornings checkin,
>
> > ASP.NET handler for files with a .omx (@omx = atomix = atomicxml =
> > "yeah, yeah, sue me for the damages on your over-delicate-self" ;)) file
> > extension to automatically be handled by the Extf.Net.Omx.AspNetHandlerclass, which instantiates a Saxon-based transformation. This requires that
> > you register the .omx extension to be handled by the aspnet_isapi.dll for
> > any supported version of the .NET platform (1.1 and 2.0 are both
> > supported by Saxon on .NET). You will also need to add default.omx to
> > the top of the Document list for your ASP.NET application. Please see
> > the ASP.NET documentation to understand how to go about this. Pretty
> > simple stuff, but it makes our life a WHOLE LOT EASIER, and a WHOLE LOT
> > FASTER as all we need to do is create a default.omx atom file that
> > references all of the atom:feed or atom:entry based atom files necessary for
> > each page, passing it to a pre-compiled ASP.NET handler for processing.
> > So in each directory of any given web application the only file that needs
> > to exist is an atom file called default.omx that contains references to
> > the files that contain the content, the files contain the template to build
> > the output against, etc...
> >
>
> ASP.NET-based applications.
>

-- 
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson
http://www.xsltblog.com/