Subject: Atompub WG meeting at the Montreal IETF

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:49:20 -0700

Greetings again. The Atompub WG will have our first (and maybe last!) 
face-to-face meeting at the upcoming IETF meeting in Montreal at the 
beginning of July.

The timing of us having our first WG meeting may seem odd, given the 
fact that we completed the Atom format document long ago, and are 
making good progress on the publishing protocol. However, there are 
reasons other than "moving documents forwards" for WGs to meet. Lisa 
Dusseault, our Area Director, asked us to have a meeting so that 
people active in the Atompub WG can have more interaction with the 
IETF, and vice versa. There is interest in the Atom format from other 
WGs, and there may be interest in the Atom publishing protocol as 
well.

I propose the following agenda, which should fit well into a one-hour slot:

- Intro: 10 mins
- Brief overview of protocol status: 10 mins
- Use of Atom format in other WGs: 30 mins
   - draft-saintandre-atompub-notify
   - Overlap with calendar formats
   - Overlap with mail

Note that we are explicitly *not* going to discuss extensions to the 
Atom format at this WG meeting because they are not part of the WG 
charter. Lisa has said that she may help arrange a BoF session on 
creating a new Working Group for Atom extensions, and having at least 
a higher-level discussion of what extensions are out there would be 
appropriate in that BoF. But, to use asterisks again, such discussion 
is *not* part of the Atompub WG meeting.

See <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-66.html> for details about the 
IETF meeting. I will let the WG know when there are preliminary and 
near-permanent agendas for the meeting. It would be good to meet some 
of you there!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:31:01 -0700

This sounds good so long as we can get the extensions BOF scheduled the
 on the same day as the WG meeting.  Also, it would be great if we could
get together for some face-to-face interop testing before and/or after
the WG meeting.

- James

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> fact that we completed the Atom format document long ago, and are making
> good progress on the publishing protocol. However, there are reasons
> other than "moving documents forwards" for WGs to meet. Lisa Dusseault,
> our Area Director, asked us to have a meeting so that people active in
> the Atompub WG can have more interaction with the IETF, and vice versa.
> There is interest in the Atom format from other WGs, and there may be
> interest in the Atom publishing protocol as well.
> 
> creating a new Working Group for Atom extensions, and having at least a
> higher-level discussion of what extensions are out there would be
> appropriate in that BoF. But, to use asterisks again, such discussion is
> *not* part of the Atompub WG meeting.
> 
> near-permanent agendas for the meeting. It would be good to meet some of
> you there!
> 
> --Paul Hoffman, Director

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:56:58 -0700

At 2:31 PM -0700 5/23/06, James M Snell wrote:
>  on the same day as the WG meeting.

Good point. The fact that the WG meeting is one hour strongly 
suggests that we will be on Tuesday afternoon, the traditional time 
for one-hour slots. If Lisa's BoF is also one hour, it is very likely 
to be that day as well. If she goes for an informal Bar BoF, it could 
be lunch or dinner that day.

>   Also, it would be great if we could

That can be arranged for the weekend before; I'll be in Montreal 
early. Depending on the number of people, we could just get together 
in a hallway somewhere, or maybe in someone's Montreal office, or 
something.

--Paul Hoffman, Director

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 11:48:50 -0700

The deadline for requesting an official BOF is Monday.  The IAB and  
IESG are having a bit of discussion of upcoming BOFs this Thursday,  
even before the Monday deadline, so it would be good to have an  
indication of a possible request ASAP :)  If an official BOF does not  
come together, there's always Bar BOFs, or even a mini-BOF (pseudo- 
BOF?) in the Apps Area meeting which is typically the Monday morning  
of IETF week.

I'm also trying to put together some topics of general interest for  
the Apps Area open meeting, and there's the HTTP Authentication or  
anti-Phishing BOF which has already been requested and should be of  
interest to Atom people.

I personally have had a lot of people tell me of interest in Atom  
extensions but it's hard to tell if there's a real possibility of the  
work items gelling into a charter.

Lisa

On May 23, 2006, at 2:31 PM, James M Snell wrote:

>> making