Subject: Content and Summary Test

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 20:18:11 -0700

http://www.snellspace.com/wp/?p=316

When some feed readers see an entry that has a atom:content with base64
content AND an atom:summary with text, for some reason they choose to
show the raw base64.

Test feed here: http://www.snellspace.com/public/contentsummary.xml

- James

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 04:46:28 -0000

> content AND an atom:summary with text, for some reason they choose to

Yeah, I noticed that when I was testing our image content support. Most feed 
readers (I tested about a dozen or so) either showed the raw base64 or 
nothing at all. One couldn't parse my test feed at all when it contained 
base64-encoded content. Why am I not surprised?

Btw, were your tests meant to be using a media type of "applcation/xml" 
(note the missing 'i')?

Regards
James

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:05:24 -0700

James Holderness wrote:
>[snip]
> Yeah, I noticed that when I was testing our image content support. Most
> feed readers (I tested about a dozen or so) either showed the raw base64
> or nothing at all. One couldn't parse my test feed at all when it
> contained base64-encoded content. Why am I not surprised?
> 

I don't have access to a Windows box right now... how does snarfer do on
these tests?

> Btw, were your tests meant to be using a media type of "applcation/xml"

Oops. Fixed.

- James

---

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 06:04:02 -0000

> I don't have access to a Windows box right now... how does snarfer do on

Displays the summary for the two application/xml tests and the calendar 
test. Displays the content for the two plaintext tests (although the summary 
is still optionally viewable in the list view). Displays the image for the 
base64 test (as with plaintext, the summary can still be seen in the list 
view).

Regards
James