Subject: Feed Thread Updated

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:33:34 -0700

I've just sent off Draft -11 of Feed Thread that incorporates the
following updates per the feedback offered during the last-call discussions:

1. thr:when renamed to thr:updated.  This is minor, I don't think it was
necessary, but some folks seemed to prefer thr:updated over thr:when.

2. New thr:total entry extension for representing the total comment
count.  This is essentially a drop-in replacement for slash:comments, as
suggested by Aristotle, and is explicitly defined not to interact with
the thr:count attribute on replies links.

3. ref attribute is now required in thr:in-reply-to.  If the parent
resource does not have a unique identifier, it's IRI SHOULD be used.

4. Also on the in-reply-to element, ref MUST NOT be considered to be
dereferenceable. href and source MUST be dereferenceable

5. The volatility of the thr:count, thr:when, and thr:total extensions
is discussed. (e.g. they can change frequently and independently of the
containing entry).

6. The authority/precision of the thr:count, thr:when and thr:total
extensions is discussed (e.g. they may not be 100% accurate, but that's ok)

7. The fact that some implementations may not be able to fully utilize
the extensions is discussed.

8. The security considerations have been expanded to highlight the
possibility of distributed comment spam and potential repudiation issues.

I believe this addresses all of the last call issues besides those
raised by David Powell, which I'm not convinced need addressing at this
point.

The new draft will appear in a day or so.

- James