Subject: Re: Is there a way to specify that a feed requires a login?

From: John Panzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:15:24 -0700

A. Pagaltzis wrote:

>Hi Aleks,
>
>* Aleks Totic <[email-masked]> [2006-02-23 00:15]:
>  
>
>>For authenticated sites, if your login cookies are not there,
>>you get back a login page. In Thunderbird there is no way to
>>fill in the login page, as all browsing requests are redirected
>>to Firefox.
>>    
>>
>
>I think the standard answer to that would be “use HTTP
>authentication instead of cookies.” Many aggregators support
>subscribing to HTTP-authenticated feeds. (I don’t know if most
>do, but I assume so.)
>
I'm actually looking for a recent survey on this topic.  The latest I've 
found is here:

http://www.megginson.com/blogs/quoderat/archives/2005/07/29/password-protected-rss-challenge/

though that's only for HTTP Basic without TLS; I wish they'd tested with 
TLS as well.  Oh well.  Anybody?

We're planning on supporting HTTP Basic over TLS for retrieval of 
private feeds as well as editing via the APP.

John