Subject: wiki mime type

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:59:39 +0100

Silly question probably, but is there a wiki mime type?
I was thinking of "text/wiki" or "text/x-wiki" or something.

I want people to be able to edit their blogs in wiki format in BlogEd  
and be able to distinguish when they do that from when they enter  
plain text, html or xhtml. Perhaps this is also useful for the protocol.

Henry

---

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:59:10 -0800

--On March 6, 2006 3:59:39 PM +0100 Henry Story <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I want people to be able to edit their blogs in wiki format in BlogEd  and be able
> to distinguish when they do that from when they enter  plain text, html or xhtml.
> Perhaps this is also useful for the protocol.

It would be really useful, especially for feeds that archive the content
of a blog. It would be best to use the official names of the formats, like
"text/markdown" or "text/textile". The wikis and blogs that I use can be
configured to accept different formats, so "text/wiki" doesn't work.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Principal Software Architect, Autonomy

---

From: "James Tauber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 01:54:13 +0800

Agreed that this would be very useful and also that it needs to be done
on a per wiki format basis.

I think, however, that this is something the format creators should be
encouraged to register, or at least suggest a convention for.

James

-- 
  James Tauber               http://jtauber.com/
  journeyman of some    http://jtauber.com/blog/

---

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:51:42 +0100

> on a per wiki format basis.

Is there a forum a large number of them tend to hang out on, so that  
one could ask them to think about this? What would be the best to do  
in the meantime? Something like

text/x-wiki+textile
text/x-wiki+markdown

perhaps?

>> --On March 6, 2006 3:59:39 PM +0100 Henry Story  
>> <[email-masked]>
>> wrote:
>>>

---

From: Walter Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:55:39 -0800

It isn't "wiki". Those are used in blogs, and I use Markdown for simple
HTML memos.

Don't use "x-", either. Register a real type.

wunder

--On March 7, 2006 5:51:42 PM +0100 Henry Story <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is there a forum a large number of them tend to hang out on, so that  one could ask them to think about this? What would be the best to do  in the meantime? Something like
> 
> text/x-wiki+textile
> text/x-wiki+markdown
> 
> perhaps?
> 
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:50:45 -0800

>Don't use "x-", either. Register a real type.

+1

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium