Subject: Demokritos now running via http://understandingatom.com

From: "M. David Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:14:45 -0700

http://understandingatom.com/ (made more evident via
http://understandingatom.com/introspection (thanks Sylvain! :))

In regards
to how this relates to the progress of AtomicRSS, its what I am
labeling "temporary compromise" while I wait for IronPython's direct
implementation of the socket module (more correctly (I believe)
_socket), which CAN be implemented through various available hacks (see:
http://trac.understandingatom.com/wiki/IronPython/Mono/Tutorials/SimpleHTTPServer
which then
links to
http://sparcs.kaist.ac.kr/~tinuviel/fepy/howto/simplehttpserver-ironpython-mono-howto.html)
but I would rather not rely on hacks as from what I understand this is
an obvious missing
piece that the MS IP folks will implement in one of the next beta
releases (beta 5 is due out fairly soon... not sure if support will
make it in this release, but when it does, and I have Demokritos
running via MS.NET
 and Mono I will ping this thread back and let you know).  This could
also be implemented directly through the FCL, but again, would rather
not rely on a hack that would immediatelly break compliance with
CPython.)

So this piece of the overall puzzle is a simple (hopefully, anyway) waiting
game.  There's plenty of other pieces to work on so its not holding back
progress in any way by waiting it out.

However, if any of you would like an account on the
machine running Demokritos via the http://understandingatom.com/ interface
(a Linux box) such that you can begin to play with this, simply add a ticket
with an obvious subject line to the Trac interface --
http://trac.understandingatom.com/newticket -- and I will get it taken care
of.

--
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson
http://www.xsltblog.com/