Subject: What Has No Floats, No Tables, Transformed From an Atom Config File, and Completely Moduler

From: "M. David Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:33:51 -0700

>
> Maybe some of you can back me up on this, but I'd much rather see CSS
> tables implemented first, before generated content. Floats have only ever
> been a hackish way to layout a web page; we need something more intelligent,
> something that can say "yes please, I really would like column a to be as
> high as column b" and have it stick. Are you with me?

Um... so yeah, that problem was solved a while ago:

Atom Config File:
http://trac.understandingatom.com/browser/trunk/ChannelXML/src/base.atom?rev=13
XSLTransformation File:
http://trac.understandingatom.com/browser/trunk/ChannelXML/src/index.xslt?rev=13
FloatFree CSS:
http://trac.understandingatom.com/browser/trunk/ChannelXML/src/themes/blue/base.css?rev=13

The above, when transformed, results in this
http://channelxml.com/explorations/ (which, by the way, properly validates
as XHTML 1.1 >
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fchannelxml.com%2Fexplorations%2F):

[NOTE: In the source below you might notice that there's nothing but
unordered lists, list items, and labels, all of which can be combind to make
as complex a grid system you could ever hope for, while maintaining a nice
balance between structure, order, and flexibility, as there not a more
powerful, flexible, yet simple as pie data structure than the wonderful
world of list's, as I know many of us already know.

Any questions? ;)

Actually, theres a BUNCH more to check in that takes this even further and
pushes the XSLT to the client in which they simply subscribe to the Atom
feeds of their choosing, which can then contain modularized markup (see the
above linked atom feed to understand what I mean by modularized) to build
out whatever various data structure they might desire by mashing together
feeds from wherever they might pop-up.  In fact, when this is all finished
(this weekend, I *HOPE* we;'' see how it goes) I will be take this same
general interface, and use it with a different graphic base and implement an
simple discovery index @ http://extensibleforge.net to act a simple way to
locate, view, and subscribe to the various Atom files that contain the
things folks build with this.

Another interface thats like two years old almost, that only a handful of
people know even exists can be seen in a VERY old format here >
http://www.xsltblog.com/~mdavid/xameleon/webtop/ <  It's grown up quite a
bit since then, but I dont want to spoil the suprise :D

NOTE: If you play around with the middle buttons of the app linked just
above you should gain a quick feel for how I am integrating the management
interface for the version of this that runs locally.

I should also note that theirs nothing new in regards to client side
technologies or anything... as you can see in the same atom feed linked at
top, its just a simple link element that points to a CSS file, which can
just as easily point to ANY pre-existing ,js file, or image,, or any other
web-based resource accessible via a URI. to build out their own client side
Feed Reading Demon via subscribing to and mashing together whatever puts a
smile on.  The hope is that this will allow people to start building
modularized lists describing the structure, containing the data, and
associating any necessary (and pre-existing if they desire) CSS, JS, images,
audio files, etc... etc.. etc.. to then make the final result easily
subscribable and therefore, shareable, and mashable < actually, given the
conversation earlier I felt maybe it would be best to showcase that this
relates directly with something very near and dear to my little hacker
heart, and I want to be sure to sounds out any and all issues possible
before I release this to the public.

There actually is a reason behind my evil ways ;) :D

It actually doesn't stop there (the code, not the evil ways :), and like I
said there still quite a bit of code that needs to be finished and checked
in, but its getting close :)

More soon....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html
  PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1.1.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
   <head>
      <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
      <title>ChannelXML.com :: It's What's On the Web</title><style
type="text/css">@import "/themes/blue/base.css";
    </style>
      <!--compliance patch for microsoft browsers-->
      <!--
          [if lt IE 7]>
		    <script src="scripts/ie7/ie7-standard-p.js"
type="text/javascript"></script>
		  <![endif]
        --></head>
   <body>
      <ul id="d3e66" class="list ">

         <li id="header">

            <ul id="d3e70" class="list TtoB opaque85">

               <li id="system-menu">

                  <ul id="d3e74" class="list LtoR">

                     <li id="d3e76">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e79">
                        <label id="d3e81" onclick="document.location =
'http://localhost/'; return true;">X</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e85">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e88">
                        <label id="d3e90" onclick="document.location =
'http://localhost/'; return true;">System Message</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e94">&gt;</li>

                     <li id="d3e98">Have a Nice Day! :) </li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

               <li id="navigation">

                  <ul id="d3e105" class="list TtoB">

                     <li id="user-menu">

                        <ul id="d3e109" class="list LtoR">

                           <li id="d3e111">
                              <label id="d3e113"
onclick="document.location = 'http://localhost/'; return true;">User
Menu</label>

                           </li>

                           <li id="d3e117">&gt;</li>

                           <li id="d3e120">Stored Location Variables </li>

                        </ul>

                     </li>

                     <li id="header-menu">

                        <ul id="d3e127" class="list LtoR">

                           <li id="d3e129">/</li>

                           <li id="d3e132" class="selected">

                              <label id="d3e134"
onclick="document.location = 'http://localhost/'; return
true;">ChannelXML</label>

                           </li>

                        </ul>

                     </li>

                     <li id="header-location" class="location">

                        <ul id="d3e142" class="list LtoR">

                           <li id="d3e144">|</li>

                           <li id="d3e147">

                              <label id="d3e149"
                                     onclick="document.location =
'http://localhost/explorations'; return
true;">[email-masked]/eXplorations</label>

                           </li>

                           <li id="d3e153">|</li>

                           <li id="d3e156">
                              <label id="d3e158"
                                     onclick="document.location =
'http://localhost/community/blogs'; return true;">Community
Blogs</label>

                           </li>

                           <li id="d3e162">|</li>

                           <li id="d3e166">
                              <label id="d3e168"
                                     onclick="document.location =
'http://localhost/community/forums'; return true;">Community
Forums</label>

                           </li>

                           <li id="d3e172">|</li>

                        </ul>

                     </li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

            </ul>

         </li>

      </ul>
      <ul id="d3e204" class="list ">

         <li id="content">

            <ul id="d3e208" class="list TtoB">

               <li id="meta">

                  <ul id="d3e212" class="list LtoR">

                     <li id="d3e214">Please note, this site is
undergoing a major development + test +
                        develop some more + test + etc... as I use it
to test a combination
                        of new development languages and technologies.
Thank you for your
                        patience! I believe the result will be well
worth any hassle it
                        temporarily imposes.
                     </li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

               <li id="main-image">

                  <ul id="main">
                     <li id="d3e221"><img
src="/images/explorations/explorations_01.png" width="768"
height="248"
                             alt="Kurt Cagle &amp; M. David Peterson :
A [soon-to-be] Weekly [but at present time, hmmmm... not-so-much]
State of the IT Industry Podcast" /></li>
                  </ul>

                  <ul id="lower">
                     <li id="d3e224"><img
src="/images/explorations/explorations_02.png" width="768"
height="102"
                             alt="Kurt Cagle &amp; M. David Peterson :
A [soon-to-be] Weekly [but at present time, hmmmm... not-so-much]
State of the IT Industry Podcast" /></li>
                  </ul>

               </li>

               <li id="cc-lessig-free_culture-info">

                  <ul id="d3e230" class="list TtoB">

                     <li id="d3e232">
                        <label id="d3e234"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.free-culture.cc'; return true;">Free Culture</label>, a
book by <label id="d3e237" onclick="document.location =
'http://lessig.org'; return true;">Lawrence Lessig</label>, creator
and CEO of
                        <label id="d3e240"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://creativecommons.org'; return true;">CreativeCommons</label>,
is
                        quite possibly the most important piece of
literature for our modern
                        day culture in regards to copyright law, and
the current state in
                        which it imposes upon our freedoms. Through
permission received
                        directly from Professor Lessig, we have
created a commercial free,
                        and<label id="d3e243"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://lessig.viberavetions.name:8000/free_culture.m3u'; return
true;">
                           freely accessible audio stream </label>
that will be running 24
                        hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
for the rest of
                        eternity, or until Professor Lessig were to
request for us to
                        discontinue this stream, whichever comes first
:) We encourage you
                        all to take a bit of time out of your schedule
each day and listen
                        in on this wonderful gift we have been given
by a man dedicated to
                        bringing about necessary change in our
copyright laws such that we
                        can truly live in a Free Culture in which the
freedom to create, not
                        destructive copyrights, prevails above all else.
                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e247">For those of you who would prefer
to download the files and listen
                        to them "on-the-go" you can access the zipped
archive from the
                        following two locations:
                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e250">
                        <label id="d3e252"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.x2x2x.org/downloads/public/media/lessig/Lawrence_Lessig__Free_Culture__AudioBook__v1.zip';
return true;">Location One (prefered)</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e256">
                        <label id="d3e258"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://nuxle.us/bt/btdownload.php?type=torrent&amp;file=Lawrence_Lessig__Free_Culture__AudioBook__v1.zip.torrent';
return true;">BitTorrent</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e262">
                        <label id="d3e264"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://channelxml.com/downloads/Lawrence_Lessig__Free_Culture__AudioBook__v1.zip';
return true;">Location Two (backup)</label>

                     </li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

            </ul>

         </li>

      </ul>

      <ul id="d3e296" class="list ">

         <li id="footer">

            <ul id="d3e300" class="list TtoB opaque85">

               <li id="base">

                  <ul id="d3e304" class="list LtoR">

                     <li id="d3e306">|</li>

                     <li id="d3e309"> Copyright 2006 <label id="d3e311"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.understandingxml.com'; return true;">Kurt
                           Cagle</label> &amp; <label id="d3e314"
onclick="document.location = 'http://mdavid.name'; return true;">M.
David
                           Peterson</label></li>

                     <li id="d3e317">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e320"> Unless otherwise specified, all
audio and textual content
                        contained on <label id="d3e322"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://channelxml.com/'; return true;">ChannelXML</label> is
                        licensed under a <label id="d3e325"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/'; return true;">Creative
                           Commons Attribution 2.5 License</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e329">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e333">

                        <label id="d3e335"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/fullrights'; return true;">
Some
                           Rights Reserved </label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e339">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e342">Source code and User Interface is
licensed under the <label id="d3e344"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.eclipse.org/legal/cpl-v10.html'; return true;">Common
Public
                           License - v 1.0</label>.
                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e348">|</li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

               <li id="copyright">

                  <ul id="d3e355" class="list LtoR">

                     <li id="d3e357">|</li>

                     <li id="d3e360"> Built with <label id="d3e362"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.oxygenxml.com'; return true;">&lt;Oxygen/&gt;</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e366">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e369">Powered by <label id="d3e371"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.saxonica.com/products.html'; return true;">
                           Saxon-SA 8.7 </label> for the <label id="d3e374"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://www.microsoft.com/net/default.mspx'; return true;">.NET
                           Platform</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e378">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e382">Empowered by <label id="d3e384"
onclick="document.location = 'http://fxsl.sf.net'; return
true;">FXSL</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e388">:</li>

                     <li id="d3e391">
                        <label id="d3e393"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer'; return true;">Valid XHTML
                           1.1</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e397">|</li>

                     <li id="d3e400">
                        <label id="d3e402"
                               onclick="document.location =
'http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer '; return
true;">Valid
                           CSS</label>

                     </li>

                     <li id="d3e406">|</li>

                  </ul>

               </li>

            </ul>

         </li>

      </ul>
   </body>
</html>

--
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson
http://www.xsltblog.com/