Subject: "AtomicRSS" Project Repository, Project Management, Wiki now live

From: "M. David Peterson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:17:45 -0700

Firstly, as specified on the entry [
http://trac.understandingatom.com/wiki/AtomicRSS.NET] page for this project
on the UnderstandingAtom&RSS Trac Project Management interface:

> "The name AtomicRSS.NET is in *no way permanent*, and futhermore *should
> not* be seen as a suggestion that the two feed formats have been merged
> into one format, calling the result AtomicRSS."

With this in mind, I have secured both the AtomicRSS.net and .info domains.
However, until such time as this name has been taken into consideration and
given the blessing of the senior members of this community (thus excluding
me in particular from the decision process :) they will simply be left
pointing at whatever the default page GoDaddy points them at.  I have no
desire to force a name that the pioneering members of this community simply
do not like upon a project that I personally feel represents something that
will provide a necessary, valuable, and beneficial service to the web feed
communities as a whole.

Call it 'UncleTom's AngleBracketCracker' for all I care... in my opinion,
its the resulting project itself that matters most.

The directory structure for the repository is in place, and I have added
IronPython Beta 4, Saxon-B 8.7 for the .NET platform, and Demokritos (a
current snapshot of the Demokritos SVN
repository).  All three of these are in the vendor folder at the base
of the repository.
[http://trac.understandingatom.com/browser]

While you can access the SVN repo via SVN now, I need to decided on a
final directory structure for all of the repos contained on this
server and update the
httpd.conf
 file accordingly.  As such, I plan to hold off announcing the URI
until I do.  I will ping back this thread once I have this in place.

While I have been playing with the MS Web Feed API all morning [NOTE: This
is in reference to yesterday morning.  I wasn't comfortable with the way
things were midway through writing this yesterday so I've held off sending
this until I did], trying to learn as much as I can about the Python
programming language in the process, theres nothing of much value to add to
the repository.  The discovery stage of this project seems the most crucial
at this point, so I won't clutter the repo with worthless code from someone
trying to add the Python language to his repertoire while at the same time
continuing to develop in the languages that I know/understand the best.
When and if my Python code is any good, I will definitely change this
policy.  But that policy is firnly in place at the moment :)

One thing I will note: If it becomes obvious that this project
is simply unnecessary (read: MS implements something similar)  I think its
safe to say I've got plenty of other projects I can spend my time on, and
have no problems killing this one.
Of course very few of these projects can be seen as important as this one if
MS does not provide this support in time for the release of IE7.  If they
don't then we won't be left scrambling.  If they do, then I just became a
better Python programmer, and we all got better and understanding how to
build software at the community level.

Not a bad tradeoff/risk either way. :)

Thoughts, criticisms, suggestions?

--
<M:D/>

M. David Peterson
http://www.xsltblog.com/