Subject: Inheritance of atom:rights

From: David Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 12:33:38 +0000

From 4.2.10:

>    If an atom:entry element does not contain an atom:rights element,
>    then the atom:rights element of the containing atom:feed element, if
>    present, is considered to apply to the entry.

Is there a reason that this paragraph excludes inheritance from
atom:source?

Section 4.2.1, describing the inheritance of atom:author, does
explicitly allow inheritance from atom:source:

>    If an atom:entry element does not contain atom:author elements, then
>    the atom:author elements of the contained atom:source element are
>    considered to apply.  In an Atom Feed Document, the atom:author
>    elements of the containing atom:feed element are considered to apply
>    to the entry if there are no atom:author elements in the locations
>    described above.

-- 
Dave

---

From: "A. Pagaltzis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:55:13 +0100

Hi David,

>Is there a reason that this paragraph excludes inheritance from

I see you already asked this in July and were warnocked back then
too.

All I could find in the archive that even mentions atom:rights
and atom:source in conjunction is

    From: Thomas Broyer
    Subject: Re: Next and Previous
    Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:29:53 +0200 (CEST)
    Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
    Archive-URL: <http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg17109.html>

wherein he says:

> atom:rights at feed-level don't apply to its entries, just to
> the feed as it stands. If you want to grant/restrict rights at
> an entry-level, use the entry-level atom:rights.

But, he wrote this last October, long after RFC 4287 was
finalised in June, and the spec contradicts his argument: section
4.2.10 clearly says:

    If an atom:entry element does not contain an atom:rights
    element, then the atom:rights element of the containing
    atom:feed element, if present, is considered to apply to the
    entry.

So in other words, it looks like whoever wrote the section in
question simply forgot to take inheritance from atom:source into
account and did not actuall mean to be exclude it; a spec bug.

Regards,
-- 
Aristotle Pagaltzis // <http://plasmasturm.org/>