Subject: new draft? (was: invention)

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:27:08 -0500

On 1/19/06, Robert Sayre <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> But, I could be in the minority. Which WG members think we should work
> on exciting new HTML link relations?
>

Wow. Nobody.

Phil, could we get a new rev of the Autodiscovery I-D?

--

Robert Sayre

"I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time."

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 05:22:30 +1100

> Phil, could we get a new rev of the Autodiscovery I-D?

nobody likes a strawman.

e.

---

From: Thomas Broyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:56:34 +0100

> > on exciting new HTML link relations?

I really think autodiscovery shouldn't use the link relation at all:

<title>Welcome to my blog</title>
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="feed.atom"
title="Subscribe to the Atom Feed" />

<title>My dummy entry</title>
<link rel="start" type="text/html" href="/" title="This blog's home page" />
<link rel="start" type="application/atom+xml" href="feed.atom"
title="Subscribe to this blog's Atom Feed" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" href="dummy.atom" />

Why not use the "media" attribute?
<link rel="whatever" type="application/atom+xml" href="feed.atom"
media="subscribe" />
<link rel="whatever" type="application/rdf+xml" href="feed.rdf"
media="subscribe" />
If you have feeds dedicated to some media (mainly screen –full content
or video enclosures–, handheld –summary-only or title-only, or
low-quality enclosures– or aural –audio-only enclosures–), add that
media in the comma-separated list:
<link rel="whatever" type="application/atom+xml" href="articles.atom"
media="subscribe" />
<link rel="whatever" type="application/atom+xml" href="videos.atom"
media="subscribe, screen" />
<link rel="whatever" type="application/atom+xml" href="audio.atom"
media="subscribe, aural" />
I'm not sure how the comma-separated values should be interpreted in
HTML (subscribe OR aural, or subscribe AND aural?), it might be better
to replace the previous list values with a single "parameterized"
value (e.g. "subscribe audio", "subscribe video", "subscribe text",
"subscribe audio video", etc.)

--
Thomas Broyer

---

From: Anne van Kesteren <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:28:20 +0100

> Why not use the "media" attribute?

Because that would be "tag abuse".

-- 
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>

---

From: Thomas Broyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:42:16 +0100

> Because that would be "tag abuse".

No more than using the @rel value (is a feed an alternate for a
single-entry HTML page?).

So let's change the application/atom+xml media type to add parameters to it:
application/atom+xml;kind=feed
application/atom+xml;kind=entry
application/atom+xml;kind=entry;type=xhtml,audio/mp3

--
Thomas Broyer

---

From: Robert Sayre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:48:12 -0500

On 1/21/06, Thomas Broyer <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> So let's change the application/atom+xml media type to add parameters to it

Why? There's no code that needs it. More code, less email.

--

Robert Sayre

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 11:05:13 +1100

> single-entry HTML page?).

Depends on what you mean by "feed". Do you mean a resource whose
representation is an Atom Feed Document, or do you mean a resource which
provides a stream of entries (in an Atom Feed Document).

The latter is the kind of thing that people want to subscribe to, but is
only a subset of the former. The former might include advertising web
services [1]

e.

[1] http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-atomwas/