Subject: RE: [Asrg] Supplemental addresses (was: Indirection as a useful tool)

From: "Brian Azzopardi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:07:59 +0100

> All mail into and out of the enterprise is configured to pass through
the system as a gateway.  On the way out, the system determines, based
on a fairly large number of criteria, which supplemental address
> (es)  (if any) are to be used or whether a new one is to be created.
All references to the original, "internal" address are replaced in the
header, body and certain attachments with the "correct" 
> supplemental  address before delivery to the recipient.
 
> On replies and messages sent back, the process is reversed.
 
Isn't this (an over engineered) auto-whitelist?
 
Brian

This mail was checked for viruses by GFI MailSecurity. 
GFI also develops anti-spam software (GFI MailEssentials), a fax server (GFI FAXmaker), and network security and management software (GFI LANguard) - www.gfi.com 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Walter Dnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 00:38:56 -0500

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:07:59AM +0100, Brian Azzopardi wrote

> Isn't this (an over engineered) auto-whitelist?

  Actually, that's what I use it for, and I think it's good idea.  I
have a personal domain.  I have a remote account that allows 10 email
addresses, *WITH SEPARATE FILTERING RULES ON EACH ONE*.  After using up
abuse, postmaster, the domain contact, and my main ID "waltdnes", that
leaves me with 6 addresses to play with.

  I use a long (hopefully) unguessable [email-masked] for my
subscription to an "internet radio" service.  That address does *NOT*
have any spam blocking, so there's no way that newsletters or customer
service messages from them get blocked.

  Quite a few ISPs offer multiple addresses as part of the base package.
They can be used in the same manner.

  The advantage of multiple addresses is that email that *MUST* get
through can be given a free pass, while email from strangers can run the
gauntlet of spam-blocking checks.  More stringent filtering *AND* fewer
false-positives... that's definitely "win-win".

-- 
Walter Dnes <[email-masked]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca