Subject: [Asrg] RE: charging for email

From: "Bill Pease" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:49:53 -0800

It is Yahoo that has announced it plans to implement Goodmail's
Certified Email only for transactional mail, and not for opt-in
marketing communications.
http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artprevbot.cgi?article_id=35638

Dr. Bill Pease | Chief Technology Officer | GetActive Software
2855 Telegraph Avenue, Suite 600; Berkeley, CA 94705
v 510 540 4772 x2101 | f 510 540 4163 
[email-masked] | www.getactive.com 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:53:30 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: Charging for e-mail 
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Dave Crocker writes:
> At the moment, certified mail has been declared to be intended for the
> sending of transactional mail, not marketing mail.  That is, mail that
> both the originator and the recipient engage in prior consent and
> consider to be business-critical, for getting delivered.

Dave --

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that CertifiedMail is for
transactional mail only.

As I noted at my comment on your CircleID posting at
http://www.circleid.com/posts/challenges_in_anti_spam_efforts/ , AOL's
statements to date regarding their plans for CertifiedMail have *NOT*
specified that this is for transactional mail only; instead, all stories
seem to indicate that they have talked about its use for "bulk mail" in
general.

Since then, AOL have issued clarifications on other aspects of the plan,
but haven't mentioned transactional-only.

Perhaps some *other* ISP is planning to use CertifiedMail only for
transactional mail, but it seems unlikely that that's what AOL is
thinking.

On the other end, http://www.goodmailsystems.com/senders/ discusses
CertifiedMail's use for "marketing impact" and "campaign returns" -- not
terms typically used for transactional messages.  So it seems clear
they intend it to be used for non-transactional marketing mail.

- --j.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg