Subject: Re: partial xml in atom:content ?

From: "James Holderness" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:05:30 -0000

Antone Roundy wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what constitutes success in the <html> case?  I'm 
> mostly curious about the browser based readers.

It was very clear when something had failed - the message content would just 
be blank (or in one case a message saying that there was no content). There 
weren't any partial failures (like not showing the markup, or showing 
extraneous markup, or anything like that).

It's possible that those that succeeded could have been made to produce a 
less than perfect display by doing weird stuff in the head section of the 
<html> example, but I wasn't trying to make things complicated. I just went 
with the simplest valid example I could.

> If they displayed  the content within a webpage, but failed to strip out 
> the <html>, </ html>, <body> and </body> tags and <head> section (assuming 
> the test  feed contained one), would that be a success or failure?

In one case I did a "view|source" which showed that they were nesting the 
entire document (from <html> to </html>) in the middle of the rest of their 
markup. I'm not sure why, but that resulted in a blank message body. I can't 
remember if that was a browser aggregator or stand-alone client but either 
way it was using browser technology to display the content.

If you want to do any further tests or check out my test feed you can find 
it here:
http://216.93.169.119/atomtests/applicationxml/everything.atom

I don't *think* I screwed anything up. It validates in feedvalidator 
(obviously warning about the two entries that used document fragments), and 
the content from the full xhtml test validates in the W3C validator (using 
XHTML 1.0 Strict for the doctype).

Regards
James