Subject: Re: [arch-d] Scope of this mail list ???

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:38:52 -0500 (EST)

> From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>

    > is this list only concerned with IP layer and routing or are we
    > concerned with all 5 layers

Well, I certainly think that the entire ensemble of components (which can be
roughly grouped into layers) are suitable for discussion here. Deciding where
in the modularity to put functions is (as someone just pointed out) the very
essence of architecture.

A perfect example is the recentq discussion of whether or not support for use
of multiple locations belongs below or above the reliable stream layer...

I don't recall if the list has a charter, and if so what it says, but the
name alone ("[email-masked]") seems to be fairly generic.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
Architecture-discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:48:18 +0100

>name alone ("[email-masked]") seems to be fairly generic.

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss has

  The architecture-discuss list serves as a technical discussion forum
  for all members of the IETF community that are interested in larger
  architectural issues. It is meant to be an open discussion forum for
  all long and/or wide range architectural concerns related to the 
  Internet Architecture. In particular, it may be used to discuss and
  bring forth different points of view on controversial architectural 
  questions. Discussions that drill down and dwell on specifics of
  individual protocols or technologies are to be discouraged, redirected
  to appropriate other fora, or re-cast to discussions of broader
  implications for Internet architecture.