Subject: [Adslmib] typos in ifTypes in draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-08.txt

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 16:11:59 +0200

The document draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-08.txt is in RFC-Editor queue.
While working in the ifTypeReferences, I found that the document
uses incorrect UPPERCASE for ifTypes:

      IANAifType ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
          ...
      SYNTAX INTEGER {
          ...
          channel(70),     -- channel
          ADSL (94),       -- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Loop

should be adsl

          ...
          Interleave(124), -- Interleaved Channel

lowercase i is needed

          Fast(125),       -- Fast Channel

lowercase f is needed

          ...
          ADSL2 (230),      -- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Loop 2

lowercase adsl2

          ...
          }

It occurs more at other places in the draft than just in that list.

Since labels are case sensitive (I think; but in any event, they must start 
with a lower case letter as per RFC2578, last para of sect 7.1.4), I think
it would be good to get that fixed as Editorial changes during AUTH48.

Bert

----- extract from the draft

  2.1.1.  General IF-MIB Integration (RFC 2863)

   The ADSL2 Line MIB specifies the detailed attributes of a data
   interface.  As such, it needs to integrate with RFC 2863 [RFC2863].
   The IANA has assigned the following ifTypes, which may be applicable
   for ADSL lines:

      IANAifType ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
          ...
      SYNTAX INTEGER {
          ...
          channel(70),     -- channel
          ADSL (94),       -- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Loop
          ...
          Interleave(124), -- Interleaved Channel
          Fast(125),       -- Fast Channel
          ...
          ADSL2 (230),      -- Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Loop 2
          ...
          }

   ADSL lines that are identified with ifType=ADSL (94) MUST be managed
   with the MIB specified by RFC2662.  ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2+ lines
   identified with ifType=ADSL2 (230) MUST be managed with the MIB
   specified by this document.

   In any case, the SNMP agent may use either ifType=Interleave (124) or
   Fast (125) for each channel, e.g., depending on whether or not it is
   capable of using an interleaver on that channel.  It may use the
   ifType=channel (70) when all channels are capable of using an
   interleaver (e.g., for ADSL2 xtus).

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 14:25:06 +0300

Hello Bert,

        Thank you kindly for your review of the 
draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-08.txt document. 

I have made a note of these mistakes and will attend to them, as you 
suggest, as part of the AUTH48.

Best Regards,

Menachem

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]> 
04/08/2006 17:11

To
"Menachem Dodge (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
cc
"Adslmib \(E-mail\)" <[email-masked]>
Subject
[Adslmib] typos in ifTypes in draft-ietf-adslmib-adsl2-08.txt

should be adsl

          ...

lowercase i is needed

lowercase f is needed

          ...

lowercase adsl2

          ...
          }

Since labels are case sensitive (I think; but in any event, they must 
start 
with a lower case letter as per RFC2578, last para of sect 7.1.4), I think
it would be good to get that fixed as Editorial changes during AUTH48.

Bert