Subject: [6lowpan] 6lowpan 16-bit address space map

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:40:52 +0300

Lowpanners,

here is a more detailed idea of how the addressing map for 16-bit
addresses could look like.  Comments welcome.

0xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unicast addresses allocated by the PAN coordinator
100xxxxxxxxxxxxx special unicast addresses, e.g.
      1000000000000000 PAN coordinator
      1000000000000001 backup PAN coordinator (just making this up now)
      allocation requires standards action
101xxxxxxxxxxxxx reserved (allocation requires standards action)
110xxxxxxxxxxxxx multicast addresses (mapping per format document)
111xxxxxxxxxxxxx special addresses, often multicast, e.g.
      1111111111111110 (the 0xfffe thing from 802.15.4)
      1111111111111111 radio-range-limited localcast to non-sleepers
      allocation requires standards action

I'm not so sure about using 100xxxxxxxxxxxxx for the PAN coordinator
things etc; maybe we should use 111xxxxxxxxxxxxx for all "special"
addresses to have more contiguous space reserved for future use.

Gruesse, Carsten

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan