Subject: [6lowpan] Comment on the format document for IPv6-multicast support

From: "Ki-Hyung Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 03:14:52 +0900

Hi Gabriel and 6lowpaners,

I want to raise an issue of supporting IPv6-multicast in 6lowpan.

There are some cases which might require multicasting in 6lowpan such as
packet transmission with multicast targets (0xFF~), Neighbor or Router
advertisements.
We can optimize some multicast by using an optimization technique, e.g. ND
optimization, but not for all cases such as multicast targets(0xFF).
Because the link layer of 6lowpan does not support multicast, multicast
should be realized by broadcast (or flooding).

My question is whether the current format document does support the
broadcasting(or flooding) or not.
It is clear that broadcast ID should exist on the adaptation layer for
supporting broadcasting(or flooding) at the adaptation layer. ( in order to
avoid duplicate handling of the same broadcast messages on a node)
Is there a mechanism of broadcast ID in the current format document?
If the adaptation layer does not have the mechanism, I believe that we
should include it.

What is your opinions?

--
Ki-Hyung Kim
Associate Professor
Division of Information and Computer Eng., Ajou University, Suwon, Korea
442-749
Tel: +82-31-219-2433, Cel: +82-17-760-2551,  Fax: +82-31-219-2433
http://www.6lowpan.org
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:30:07 -0700

I think that the L2 shim should have a sequence number for emulated
broadcast/multicast. This sequence number will be used for duplicate
packet detection (DPD). For more information please see the SMF
document, a MANET WG ID.
Ian

On 4/30/06, Ki-Hyung Kim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Is there a mechanism of broadcast ID in the current format document? If the
> adaptation layer does not have the mechanism, I believe that we should
> include it.
>
> What is your opinions?
>
>
>
> --
> Ki-Hyung Kim
> Associate Professor