Subject: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

From: "Schumacher Christian Peter Pii" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:09:03 +0100

Hi.

During the 6lowpan interim meeting in January, the working group
discussed possible topics for a future rechartering of 6lowpan. Based on
available information from that meeting I've compiled the following
text, which is an edited version of the scope present in the current
6lowpan charter. Feedback is appreciated. 

--- start of scope ---

Scope of 6lowpan:

Produce "Optimization of the Neighbor Discovery Protocol for 6lowpans"
to define how to apply the existing Neighbor Discovery protocol in a 
6lowpan. 

Produce "IPv6 over Low Power WPAN Security Analysis" to define the 
assumptions for a security model for 6lowpan. This includes analysis
of threats, identify types of devices and define the levels of trust
between these devices.

Produce "6lowpan Co-existence with other Networks" to define how to
co-exist with other networks. This includes analysis of how to survive
interference caused by IEEE 802.11 based networks, and investigate how
to
recognize and co-exist with other networks based on IEEE 802.15.4.

As such, the working group may also work on an informational document
to show how to apply an existing MANET protocol to LoWPANs (e.g.,
AODV, OLSR, DYMO, etc).

The working group will reuse existing specifications whenever
reasonable and possible.

The working group will also serve as a venue for ongoing discussions
on other topics related to the more complete list outlined above.
Additional related milestones may be added in the future via a
rechartering operation.

Note: As may be obvious from its official name above, this particular
working group will not work on IPv4 over IEEE 802.15.4 specifications.
Given the limitations of the target devices, dual-stack deployments
are not practical. Because of its higher potential for header
compression, its support for the huge number of devices expected and
of cleanly built-in features such as address autoconfiguration, IPv6
is the exclusive focus of the working group.

--- end of scope ---

Looking forward to receive your feedback.

Regards
Christian

PS: The original charter can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Ki-Hyung Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 21:57:04 +0900

Hi, Schumacher,

As I remember, there were some additional rechartering items which we had
reached on consensus in the last interim meeting, such as mesh routing
protocols, service discovery, scalability (routing and addressing) and
management.

Is there anything I don't know during the time or any reason why we can't
move forward on these issues?

--

Ki-Hyung Kim

Associate Professor

Division of Information and Computer Engineering,

Ajou University, Suwon, Korea 442-749

Tel: +82-31-219-2433, Cel: +82-17-760-2551,  Fax: +82-31-219-2433

 <http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm>
http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm  

  _____  

From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi. 

During the 6lowpan interim meeting in January, the working group discussed
possible topics for a future rechartering of 6lowpan. Based on available
information from that meeting I've compiled the following text, which is an
edited version of the scope present in the current 6lowpan charter. Feedback
is appreciated. 

--- start of scope --- 

Scope of 6lowpan: 

Produce "6lowpan Co-existence with other Networks" to define how to 
co-exist with other networks. This includes analysis of how to survive 
interference caused by IEEE 802.11 based networks, and investigate how to 
recognize and co-exist with other networks based on IEEE 802.15.4. 

--- end of scope --- 

Regards 
Christian 

PS: The original charter can be found at
<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html>
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 06:29:35 +0900

new 6lowpan charterChristian - Let me clarify one point. Is this announcement
an official rechartering discussion agreed with Chairs/ADs
views ? Geoff and Carsten, Christian is responsible for 
rechartering work instead of you ?

Thanks,

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:09 PM
  Subject: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

  Hi. 

  During the 6lowpan interim meeting in January, the working group discussed possible topics for a future rechartering of 6lowpan. Based on available information from that meeting I've compiled the following text, which is an edited version of the scope present in the current 6lowpan charter. Feedback is appreciated. 

  --- start of scope --- 

  Scope of 6lowpan: 

  --- end of scope --- 

  Regards 
  Christian 

  PS: The original charter can be found at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 04:12:48 +0900

new 6lowpan charterI believe 6lowpan adhoc routing protocol must be
included into our rechartering more specific than
now. It is one of urgent task toward 6LoWPAN
Current text is just copy-and-paste from the
existing charter as follows:

"As such, the working group may also work on an 
informational document to show how to apply an 
existing MANET protocol to LoWPANs (e.g., 
AODV, OLSR, DYMO, etc)."

So, my suggestion is as follows:

Produce "Optimization of the Adhoc Routing Protocol 
for 6lowpans" to apply an existing MANET Protocol 
to LoWPANs.

Thanks in advance.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:09 PM
Subject: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi. 
--- start of scope --- 
Scope of 6lowpan: