Subject: RE: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

From: "Schumacher Christian Peter Pii" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 08:51:02 +0100

Hi Kim
 
It would be very helpful if you could provide me with polished
statements for these items.
 
Regards
Christian

________________________________

From: Ki-Hyung Kim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 8. marts 2006 02:59
To: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii
Cc: [email-masked]; 'Geoff Mulligan'
Subject: RE: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi Christian,

I am curious why the official minutes are not available yet, but there
were such items we had mentioned.

Anyway, the following items were discussed and summarized by Carsten(?
If my memory is correct) as rechartering items on the last interim
meeting.

1) Mesh routing protocol

2) Service discovery

3) Scalability of 6lowpan (routing and addressing)

4) Mobility issues

5) Naming service for mesh layer

6) Gateway architecture (This item was discussed as "HC compression" on
the last meeting)

If you need polished statements for these items, let me know.

Regards,

--

Ki-Hyung Kim

Associate Professor

Division of Information and Computer Engineering,

Ajou University, Suwon, Korea 442-749

Tel: +82-31-219-2433, Cel: +82-17-760-2551,  Fax: +82-31-219-2433

http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm
<http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm>   

________________________________

From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:06 PM
To: Ki-Hyung Kim
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi Kim

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any official minutes from the
interim meeting in January, and I assumed we only wanted to focus on a
few of these points. However, if you could provide some key-words for
these other items you mentioned, I would be happy to incorporate them
into the text.

Regards

Christian

________________________________

From: Ki-Hyung Kim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 7. marts 2006 13:57
To: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi, Schumacher,

As I remember, there were some additional rechartering items which we
had reached on consensus in the last interim meeting, such as mesh
routing protocols, service discovery, scalability (routing and
addressing) and management.

Is there anything I don't know during the time or any reason why we
can't move forward on these issues?

--

Ki-Hyung Kim

Associate Professor

Division of Information and Computer Engineering,

Ajou University, Suwon, Korea 442-749

Tel: +82-31-219-2433, Cel: +82-17-760-2551,  Fax: +82-31-219-2433

http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm
<http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr/kkim86/index.htm>   

________________________________

From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Hi. 

During the 6lowpan interim meeting in January, the working group
discussed possible topics for a future rechartering of 6lowpan. Based on
available information from that meeting I've compiled the following
text, which is an edited version of the scope present in the current
6lowpan charter. Feedback is appreciated. 

--- start of scope --- 

Scope of 6lowpan: 

Produce "Optimization of the Neighbor Discovery Protocol for 6lowpans" 
to define how to apply the existing Neighbor Discovery protocol in a 
6lowpan. 

Produce "IPv6 over Low Power WPAN Security Analysis" to define the 
assumptions for a security model for 6lowpan. This includes analysis 
of threats, identify types of devices and define the levels of trust 
between these devices. 

Produce "6lowpan Co-existence with other Networks" to define how to 
co-exist with other networks. This includes analysis of how to survive 
interference caused by IEEE 802.11 based networks, and investigate how
to 
recognize and co-exist with other networks based on IEEE 802.15.4. 

As such, the working group may also work on an informational document 
to show how to apply an existing MANET protocol to LoWPANs (e.g., 
AODV, OLSR, DYMO, etc). 

The working group will reuse existing specifications whenever 
reasonable and possible. 

The working group will also serve as a venue for ongoing discussions 
on other topics related to the more complete list outlined above. 
Additional related milestones may be added in the future via a 
rechartering operation. 

Note: As may be obvious from its official name above, this particular 
working group will not work on IPv4 over IEEE 802.15.4 specifications. 
Given the limitations of the target devices, dual-stack deployments 
are not practical. Because of its higher potential for header 
compression, its support for the huge number of devices expected and 
of cleanly built-in features such as address autoconfiguration, IPv6 
is the exclusive focus of the working group. 

--- end of scope --- 

Looking forward to receive your feedback. 

Regards 
Christian 

PS: The original charter can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html
<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/6lowpan-charter.html>  

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Schumacher Christian Peter Pii" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:19:09 +0100

I've put the current version of the edited charter onto the 6lowpan
wiki.
 
You can find it at: http://6lowpan.tzi.org/recharter
 
Regards
Christian

From: Ki-Hyung Kim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 20. marts 2006 02:06
To: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii
Cc: 6lowpan
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

>As such, the working group may also work on informational documents for
>service discovery, scalability of 6lowpan (routing and addressing),
>mobility issues, naming service for mesh layer and gateway
architecture. 
 
Christian, let me add more details in terms of our rechartering
deliberables into the listed items as follows;

Produce "Service Discovery Protocol for 6LoWPAN" to define how 
to discover, control and maintain services provided by 6lowpan devices.

Produce "Scalability of 6LoWPAN" to define a routing protocol
for the lare number of devices which is expected to be deployed in 
6LoWPAN while considering the limited capabilities of the devices 
(low power, limited memory space, and small packet size). 

Produce "Interoperability of 6LoWPAN" to define the gateway 
Architecture between 6LoWPAN and external IPv6 networks.

All comment are highly welcome. 

__
Ki-Hyung Kim
Associate Professor
Division of Information and Computer Eng., 
Ajou University, Suwon, Korea 442-749
Tel:+82-31-219-2433, http://ilab.ajou.ac.kr

---

From: "Schumacher Christian Peter Pii" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:29:49 +0100

Thanks for your feedback.

The current version, which has been altered quite a bit, of the charter
for discussion can be found at
http://6lowpan.tzi.org/recharter

Regards
Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Chakeres [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 20. marts 2006 23:13
To: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii
Cc: 6lowpan
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] new 6lowpan charter

Comments - inline.

On 3/19/06, Schumacher Christian Peter Pii <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> Based on received feedback, I have a new suggestion for charter scope.
>
> --- start of scope ---
>
> Scope of 6lowpan:
>
> Produce "Optimization of the Adhoc Routing Protocol for 6lowpans"
> to apply an existing MANET Protocol to LoWPANs.

I do not think the MANET protocols should be re-engineered in 6lowpan.
I believe that a L2 implementation of minimal DYMO can fulfil 6lowpans
requirements.

I think packet optimizations are acceptable to explore, but protocol
behavior should not be changed.

I think that the charter should state exactly what type of
"optimizations" are to be explored.

> to define how to apply the existing Neighbor Discovery protocol in a

Again, I think we should reuse IPv6 ND or use a MANET hello protocol
(OLSRv2 or SMF neighborhood discovery seem suitable). Again, packet
formats could be optimized, but the protocol behavior should not.

> to recognize and co-exist with other networks based on IEEE 802.15.4.
>
architecture.
> Please provide feedback.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Soohong Daniel Park [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 8. marts 2006 20:13
> To: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii; [email-masked]
> new 6lowpan charterI believe 6lowpan adhoc routing protocol must be
> included into our rechartering more specific than
> now. It is one of urgent task toward 6LoWPAN
> Current text is just copy-and-paste from the
> existing charter as follows:
>
> "As such, the working group may also work on an
> informational document to show how to apply an
> existing MANET protocol to LoWPANs (e.g.,
> AODV, OLSR, DYMO, etc)."
>
> So, my suggestion is as follows:
>
> Produce "Optimization of the Adhoc Routing Protocol
> for 6lowpans" to apply an existing MANET Protocol
> to LoWPANs.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
> Mobile Convergence Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Schumacher Christian Peter Pii