Internet Telephony Organizations
- Multimedia Services Affiliate
- Has a study group on Internet telephony. "It is the Multimedia
Services Affiliate Forum members' vision to provide customers with
secure, reliable, easy-to-use, global multimedia communication services
using interoperable IP-centric platforms."
- The Internet Telephony
- is a research organization focused on providing
interoperability between the Internet and traditional telephony. The
Consortium is a multidisciplinary research group and is seeking
participation from the computer and telecommunications industries.
The research focus of the Consortium includes a range of issues
presented by Internet telephony including interoperability, pricing of
reliable services, regulatory issues and business effects. David
Clark chairs the Consortium's advisory committee and Lee McKnight
serves as the principal investigator.
- The International Multimedia
- (IMTC) is a non-profit corporation composed of more than 100
members and affiliates from North America, Europe, and Asia/Pacific.
The IMTC's mission is to promote, encourage, and facilitate the
development and implementation of interoperable multimedia
teleconferencing solutions based on open international standards. In
this regard, the IMTC is currently focused on multimedia
teleconferencing standards adopted by the International
Telecommunications Union (ITU), specifically the ITU-T T.120, H.320,
H.323, and H.324 standards. They recently formed a Voice over IP
forum (VoIP) as part of the International
Multimedia Teleconferencing Consortium (IMTC) Contributions.
- Voice on the Net
- VON organizes tradeshows and conferences and has a listing of
vendors related to Internet telephony.
- Multimedia Telecommunications Association
- "Dedicated to supporting the convergence of communications and
computing business applications for the 21st Century. MMTA is an open
public policy, market development, and educational forum for
telecommunications, computer and networking equipment manufacturers,
software developers, distributors, value-added resellers, and systems
integrators. Founded in 1970, as the North American Telephone
Association (NATA), MMTA remains committed to supporting the development
of open and global markets for the delivery of technology-based
solutions to the business community."
- VON Coalition, Inc
- The VON Coalition's mission is twofold: actively advocate the
viewpoint that the IP Telephony industry hould remain as free of
governmental regulations as possible, and to educate consumers and the
media on Internet communications technologies. To facilitate its
mission, the VON Coalition will focus on several key objectives,
- Promotion of the voice on the net industry;
- Education of regulators, legislators, media and consumers worldwide
about voice on the net technologies, products, benefits, and practices;
- Recommending action on regulation and legislation that affects the
interests of the voice on the net industry;
- Providing a forum for discussion by the members of the voice on the
net industry, to encourage the exchange of ideas between members.
- International Telecommunications Union
(Parts of the material above were contributed by Ley Christopher.)
by Henning Schulzrinne