Jamie's Stinky Doodle
Welcome to my Stinky Doodle page! I made the following doodle using
Dear prospective Stinky programmer,
Here are the steps to making your Stinky doodle:
- Copy the HTML source code of this web page into your directory. If you
are on Columbia University's AcIS computers, you can also access
this page directly by copying it from ~es66/public_html/demo.html (into
your public_html directory).
- Use Netscape to make sure your copy of this web page works for you.
- Modify the Stinky source code, i.e., the list of commands given
to Stinky to create the little drawing above. These commands
are actually embedded in the HTML source code of this web page!
So, all you have to do is edit your copy of this web page with
an editor such as pico or emacs.
- The commands are found after VALUE=, and they
are in double quotes.
- You must put spaces between commands, not other "white space" such
as tabs or carriage returns (these are known as "white space"
since it is white if you are writing on a white piece of paper). If
you want to put in carriage returns so the commands are on seperate
rows, you have to also put spaces -- if you don't it won't work!!
- The deal here is, Stinky is actually a program written in Java,
in particular, a Java applet. The "program" you are modifying is
actually just an input parameter to the Java applet.
- First, make a minor modification to the doodle above,
and then reload the page with your web browser (e.g., Netscape),
to see this modification activated. If it doesn't make a change
there is a problem.
- Then, start building your picture from scratch. Start
with a couple reduces, and a step. Then add a couple
more steps and/or turning commands. Add a little
at a time, checking the results each time. Your job
is much easier if you check the results often, after each couple
- If you look carefully, you'll see there's a place to change
the height and width of the space Stinky can draw in (optional).
- Modify the HTML source of your copy of the web page to eliminate
these instructions, and put in any comments you want, e.g., a link
back to your home page. Please leave in the link to the Stinky page,