Automatically Created Palindromes
Palindromes are spelled the same both forwards and backwards.
There are many great palindromes, and many collections of
them exists -- just search for "palindrome" on any web search
However, the palindromes below are entirely original. Furthermore,
most of them, as indicated, were created with the AI Palindrome Discovery System (a homework
project (including Java code) for exploring search strategies
in our Artificial Intelligence course). To my knowledge, this is the
first automatic creation of palindromes. Read more about the project
in our published cs education paper.
Also, you are urged to check out this animated palindrome GIF (by
Ph.D. student Pablo Duboue). It shows one of our favorite
computer-discovered palindromes in 3D. All the letters rotate 180
degrees and then the whole thing rotates resulting in the same phrase.
New: Moreover, check out this other
animated palindrome applet, by Michael Birken. It shows the same
palindrome in a cool circular 2D animation that would only be
possible for a palindrome.
Symmetric "Kargo", by Michael
Birken. You cannot argue that this does not say Kargo. You cannot
argue that this is not symmetric (looks the same in a mirror).
'Course, it is not a palindrome, but Michael was thinking a lot about
palindromes when he made it, and he works at Kargo with me.
Automatically created palindromes.
The student in parentheses wrote the search
procedure, ran the experiments and manually selected the worthy
palindrome from the system's output, which is usually big.
The following are the same as above, but by Your's Truly,
seeded with one of the
words: AI, OOP, Java, taught, SIG, or computer:
- re: Solomon no mo' loser (Tejpaul Bhatia)
- Sex or excel? Alec xeroxes. (Corey Robert Tripp)
- Minimax or excel? Alec xerox a minim. (Corey Robert Tripp)
- spacecraft farce caps (Boyle Lee)
- Len serf Fresnel. (Boyle Lee, who's friend Len's computer is named Fresnel!)
- Sex if fat affixes. (Haoqiang Zheng)
- trade man named art (Haoqiang Zheng)
- sat siva, a vistas (Boyle Lee)
- siva is a hindu god representing destruction...if he was sitting in front of
you, that would definitely be a spectacular site ( a vistas )
- Infidels led Ifni. (Gautam Nair)
A former Spanish possession on the Atlantic coast of southwest Morocco. It
was ceded to Spain in 1860, but overseas control was nominal until 1934.
Ifni was returned to Morocco in 1969.
- Snog at coy octagons. (Daniel Liu)
- Iambic IBM AI. (Daniel Liu)
- Seven eves. (Daniel Liu)
- Sad, I misuse Jesus, I Midas. (Daniel Liu)
- red dustcart tame hem attracts udder (Arie Addi)
- mix a man a maxim. (Huafeng Xu)
- Red limpid dip milder. (Jun Hou)
- Dog's God. (Jun Hou)
- Sub in money: yen, omnibus. (Jun Hou)
- Eureka mixes sex -- I make, rue. (Jun Hou)
- Putrid yapping noshes rep insures a mallet. Sahib Bart? Rabbi? Ha,
Stella! Maseru snipers, eh? Song, nip paydirt up. (Mike Blount)
- Masseuse sues Sam. (Jenny Weisenberg)
- Massive Levis, Sam! (Jenny Weisenberg)
- sun ate thor oh tetanus (Tarun Kapoor)
- wo cow (Tarun Kapoor)
- Tips? Secondrater retard! No cesspit! (Corey Leong)
- Sex Elicits Alex, Elastic Ilexes. (Alexander Day Chaffee)
- stunk college israel lear siegel locknuts (Andrew Bryant Ross)
- Sane Rat Arenas (Corey Tripp)
The following, by yours truly, were deemed grammatical, and
were produced from searches seeded with random
- Poor OOP.
- SUN, a Java Janus. (God)
- Dumb, O Java; Java job mud.
- ALA me taught: Evil liveth Guatemala.
- Debra, Java, LSD, Slav; ajar bed.
- Plato grasp OOP -- poops argot alp.
- Poofs note rap -- pareto NSF-OOP.
- Poops? I lewd! We LISP OOP.
- Poor iambics USC IBM air OOP.
- Ahem, ANSI SIG: Isis name -- ha!
- Ah computer, fret up; mocha.
- ``Adieu; grasp OOP - oops!'' argue Ida.
- None: Decimal SIG, Islamic Eden, on!
The following were not deemed grammatical, but win
- Infinitesimal clam I set in Ifni.
- Twenties acne? Encase it, Newt.
- Name none, Dr. Arden: one man.
- Revolted I -- Bidet, lover!
- Deepmined gossip piss, Ogden -- I'm peed.
- Wow! Wop powwow.
- Elf farm raffle.
- Net-safe fasten.
- Madame Nile pips pipeline, madam.
- Tangy gnat.
- Evade Dave.
- Re-sampled art? Trade LP maser.
- A mini-mower crew-o-minima.
- Nomad do-gooder, redo. O, goddam -- on!
- Redo? O Goddam -- on, nomad do-gooder!
- Wo, honey's deeds -- ye nohow!
- Hex, a jam! Ajax, eh?
- A ha-ha-foolery: Gyre loofah, aha!
- ETA misdeeds? I mate.
- Gentlewoman I dine mo' -- welt neg.
- Spacecapsule dome remodel U.S. pace caps.
- Sex elicit ore erotic ilexes
- A retaliatory pyro tail at ERA.
- Nil murderer, evil liver, ere drumlin.
- Nob Beebe, oh Phoebe, ebb on.
Manually created (no computer) by people Eric Siegel know's personally:
- On AI, play Al piano. (your's truly)
- Net safety? Byte fasten. (your's truly -- possibly the first palindrome joke)
- Y'no palindromes; Semor'd nil a pony. (your's truly -- possibly the first meta-palindrome)
- Are Macarena ban ERA camera? (your's truly)
- Dogma: I am God. (your's truly, I think; maybe I saw that
somewhere a long time ago)
- Screw! We R cs. (Huafeng Xu)
- Hey Emily, evade Davey! Limey, eh? (Homin Kaie)
- Not now Gib. A ton, not a big wonton. (Carl Sable)
- Straps laminate pet animal's parts. (Carl Sable)
- We? I vote cinema. Me! Nice to view. (Carl Sable)
- I, Len, am Oreo boys, sissy oboe Roman Eli. (Michael Littman)
- C Prof. May, alseep, peels a yam for PC. (Michael David Birken)
- On AI, Prof. Siegel, asleep, peels a leg; "E" is for piano. (Michael David Birken)
- To Prof. Siegel: lock college is for pot! (Michael David Birken)
- He's no me, Dr. Seus; Siegel Law allege issues R demons, eh?(Michael David Birken)
- I was Semor D. Nila: Prof. Siegel IRC! As sacrilege is for palindromes,
(Michael David Birken, regarding that I don't use my real name on IRC)
- Margo, realm the html aerogram. (Faith D'Lamater)
- Sit on a potato pan, Otis. (I don't know, but Dave Evans has it
as his email siggy)
Classic palindromes (not original)
- Madam, I'm Adam.
- Able was I ere I saw Elba.
- A man, a plan, a canal; Panama.
- Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
- Doc note, I dissent, a fast never prevents a fatness; I diet on cod.
- Satan oscillate my metallic sonatas.
- No sir, away, a papaya war is on!
© 1999 Eric V. Siegel