How To Set Up Secure Email
We provide 2 services for making email secure: IMAP/POP over
TLS(SSL), which provides privacy for incoming mail, and SMTP over
TLS(SSL), which does the same for outgoing mail.
We have also enabled SMTP AUTH. This allows users to send mail from
their cs account from outside our network.
What is required
All that is required is a mail client that knows how to use the
secure services. Examples are Netscape Mail and Microsoft Outlook.
- Edit->Preferences... Mail & Newsgroups -> Mail Servers
- Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:
- run the program my-mail-server.
- Outgoing mail server user name:
- your unix username.
- Use Secure Socket Layer(SSL) or TLS for outgoing messages:
- choose Always.
- Incoming Mail Servers
- click the Add... or Edit... button.
- General tab
- Server Name: Run my-mail-server.
Server Type: choose IMAP.
User Name: Your unix username.
- IMAP tab
- make sure Use secure connection (SSL) is checked.