Programming Languages and Translators
Final Exam Information
May 6, 2013
Date and Time
- The final exam for COMS W4115 will be held Monday, May 6, 2013,
2:40-3:55pm, in 535 Mudd for people whose last names begin with A-L,
and in 702 Hamilton for people whose last names begin with M-Z.
- The final will be closed book; no aids are permitted.
Scope of Final
- The final will be based on the material covered in the lectures.
- Programming languages:
- General fluency in C, Java, and related languages.
- Overview of the lambda calculus and its application to functional languages.
See lecture notes, April 17-24, 2013.
- The main characteristics of imperative, declarative, functional,
scripting, and logical programming languages.
- Programming language basics. See ALSU, Sect. 1.6.
- The structure of a compiler.
ALSU, Sects. 1.1-1.5, and Chapter 2.
- Lexical analysis: regular expressions, finite automata.
ALSU, Sects. 3.1-3.8.
- Syntax analysis: context-free grammars, top-down and bottom-up parsing.
ALSU, Sects. 4.1-4.6, 4.8-4.9.
- Syntax-directed translation. ALSU, Sects. 5.1-5.4.
- Intermediate-code generation and semantic analysis. ALSU, Sects. 6.1-6.6, 6.9.
- Run-time storage organization and allocation. ALSU, Sects. 7.1-7.2.
- Code generation. ALSU, Sects. 8.1-8.7, 8.10.
- Code optimization. ALSU, Sect. 9.1.