1st time employment at an on-campus job?
Please follow the instructions below.
- Complete the 2 step employment verification process
- Complete Section 1 of the I-9 form by logging into http://www.newi9.com if you are an US Citizen, Permanent Resident or International Student with a social security number.
- If you are an International Student without a social security number you must go to 210 Kent Hall to complete the entire process. Then you should come to 476 Computer Science Building to obtain instructions and an employment letter to apply for a social security.
- Within 3 business days of the day you accept the TA grader position in mice, visit the I-9 Processing Center in 210 Kent Hall and complete section 2 of the I-9 form.
Note: All International Students must take their I-20, I-94, visa and passport.
Complete entire employment packet
Note: Packet can be obtained outside 476 CSB. We are not authorized to advise you on completing the tax forms. Please utilize the tax overview sheet and worksheets attached to tax forms provided in the packet.
Return the following items to Cindy Walters in 476 CSB to be placed on payroll [office hours Mon - Thurs 11am - 12:30pm & 3pm - 4pm]
- Employment Packet [Note: Attached or can be picked up outside room 476 CSB; address on W-4 and IT-2104 must be consistent with the address used on the I-9 form.]
- Social security verification form [if applicable].
- International Students must also bring their I-20, I-94, visa and passport when submitting documentation,
Please Note: Students who have applied for a social security card must bring the original to me upon receipt so I can update your personnel files.
Employed at another on-campus job in the last six months?
If yes, you do not need to complete an employment packet - follow the below instructions;
If you were employed in the CS department, skip step 1 and provide educational information requested in step 2.3 below.
If "yes", you do not need an employment packet; instead,
- Go to department & request a "signed" personnel action form (PAF)
- Return the following items to Cindy Walters in 476 CSB to be placed on payroll [office hours Mon - Thurs 11am - 12:30pm & 3pm - 4pm]
- "Signed" Personnel Action Form (PAF)
- Completed Self Identification Form [will be provided upon submission of the PAF form.]
- Provide Updated Educational Information below
- Highest Degree Completed (BS, B Tech, BE, etc) - NOT DEGREE YOU ARE CURRENTLY WORKING ON
- Institution Name
- City/State or Country degree completed
- Month/Year of completion
- If you are an International student and your I-20 hasn't expired; or will not expire before the end of the semester you are all set.
However, if your I-20 has expired or will expire before the end of the semester take updated documentation to the I-9 Processing Center in Kent Hall to update your I-9.
Please bring a copy of the updated I-9 and back up documentation to me along with the above documentation.
- Effective January 1, 2013 the Computer Science office policy regarding payroll check pick up will change.
Semi-monthly pay dates are the 15th and the last day of each month and will be issued to the department and available for pick up every Wednesday between the hours of 1pm and 4pm and Friday between the hours of 10am and 4pm in the front CS administrative office unless you have direct deposit.
We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit, if you haven't already done so, as soon as possible to ensure immediate access to your pay.
Direct deposit instructions are attached to your employment paperwork or you can go to https://my.columbia.edu/ and sign up.
If you need instructions for completing direct deposit, contact Cindy Walters at cindy [at] cs.columbia.edu.