Miercom's Basic Telephony Station Features
The following is the list of thirty-eight station features that, for
purposes of testing, Miercom deems
- Automatic call back:
- To an internal extension when no answer or busy are
received. The same as camp on.
- Bridged call (line) appearance:
- The same phone number can appear and be answered on multiple phone
- Call conference:
- Audio path for multiple parties on a single call, established just
via user keystrokes, no outside intervention. Record number of parties
that can be conferenced as well as what device maintains the conference.
- Call blocking:
- Call drop:
- Terminate a call without hanging up the receiver.
- Call forward all:
- User can redirect all calls to another station or
- Call forward on busy:
- User can redirect calls to another station or location
- Call forward on no answer:
- User can redirect all calls to another station or location after
specified number of rings.
- Call hold:
- A button on phone set that places incoming call on hold,
- Call pick-up:
- A user can answer a call ringing on another extension where
both extensions are part of a pickup group. NOTE: Note if directed call
pickup is available, where users can pickup a specific extension.
- Call park/retrieve:
- A user can put a call on "hold" (to a virtual extension)
and then pick up from another phone in the system.
- Call pickup:
- See 'call park/retrieve'.
- Call restriction:
- Block calls to certain numbers.
- (Last) call return:
- Calls last incoming number.
- Call transfer:
- Redirect an answered call to another user. Note if transfers
of unanswered calls can be done. Call transfers can be "blind" or
"consultative" (transferor converses with the destination first).
- Call waiting:
- Stations currently connected receive an audible beep to
identify that another call is pending. NOTE: Display notification alone is
- Caller ID:
- Displays the name and/or number of the calling party.
- Caller ID Block (per user, per call, per destination):
- Blocks delivery of caller ID per destination or per call.
- Direct inward dial (DID):
- PBX phones are dialed with an E.164 number, without a separate
extension or two-stage dialing.
- Direct transfer to voice mail:
- Automatically redirects all calls to
voicemail with a single button push.
- Distinctive ringing:
- Ring with different characteristics, depending, for
example, on whether a call is internal or external.
- Do Not Disturb:
- Phones can be made to appear out of service.
- Follow me:
- Allows multiple, disparate user-defined stations to ring
simultaneously when one extension is dialed.
- Free seating / hoteling:
- A user can move from one location to another and
access all his/her calls, features, button mappings, etc., without
intervention from PBX administrator.
- Hands-free dialing
- Dialing without lifting the receiver.
- Intercom - phone-to-multi-phone:
- Allows voice paging through speakers of multiple stations.
- Intercom - phone-to-phone:
- A private, internal intercom between two stations.
- Allows specified users to intrude on calls in progress.
- Last number redial:
- Button causes last outgoing call to be re-dialed. Note
if single button push or call log driven.
- Leave word calling:
- Allows internal users to leave a short, pre-programmed message for
another internal user.
- Message waiting light/indication:
- A visual indicator of a voicemail message.
- Missed call indicator:
- Lists missed calls.
- Multiple line appearance:
- A single phone can have multiple, repeated instances of a single
- Multiple ring styles:
- More than one ring tone, which users can select.
- Music on hold:
- A caller hears music when placed on hold.
- A mute button to disable the microphone.
- One-button send all calls:
- Automatically redirects all calls to coverage
with a single button push
- One-button speed dial:
- Programmable one-touch speed dial on a phone set.
- Personal call routing:
- Priority Ringing from specified numbers:
- Distinct ring for calls from
- Priority Ringing set from the caller:
- A caller can set a distinct ring when
making a call to another internal user.
- Private dialing plan:
- Internal extension dialing.
- User directory:
- Database of names, extensions, etc., accessible for look-up
by any system endpoint.
- Volume control:
- Controls audio volume for speaker, handset, headset, ringer, either
together or separately.
- Whisper page:
- A station can bridge into an existing call, and only the
intended party will hear their "whispers".
by Henning Schulzrinne